Rise of Anti-Vaccination

I believe failing to vaccinate is failing to create a safe environment for others. Parents that don’t vaccinate their children are causing an unsafe environment to their kids surrounding and peers. Photo courtesy of NBC News.

Sophia Navarro, Co-Editor-in-Chief

This past summer El Paso experienced a severe measles outbreak.

I believe that anti-vaccination is unsafe and causes the spread of any unwelcome disease, such as measles.

Anti-vaccination has grown since 2007.

Anti-vaccination is when someone opposes vaccination and/or getting vaccinated.

The topic of antivaxxers has grown since the recent measles outbreak in the U.S., and most importantly here in our hometown of El Paso.

Measles broke out in the U.S. back in 2015.

El Paso saw its first case of measles back in June.

Over six cases of measles were confirmed in El Paso.

I believe what caused the spread of measles were antivaxxers. 

Antivaxxers believe the shot to prevent measles, mumps, measles, and rubella, also known as MMR, cause autism.

“Our study does not support that the MMR vaccination increases the risk for autism, triggers autism in susceptible children, or is associated with clustering of autism cases after vaccination,” according to the study of Annals of Internal Medicine. 

People aren’t vaccinating out of fear.

Parents that don’t vaccinate their children are causing an unsafe environment to their child’s surroundings and peers.

Fernando Gonzalez, the lead epidemiologist at the El Paso Department of Public Health, said, “Measles is an aggressive disease; it happens mostly in kids but also in adolescents and can pose a serious health condition if advances to more critical stations.

“We recommend our community to go get their kids fully immunized and review vaccine status at all levels, adults, young adults, elderly.”

I believe failing to vaccinate is failing to create a safe environment for others.

MMR is now a requirement to attend school in the El Paso Independent School District.

As for college students, Texas Universities require Meningococcal Vaccines upon acceptance.

Students have to show proof of their vaccination to be able to attend the university. 

The anti-vaccination movement need to stop and focus on the safety of others.

By vaccinating our kids and ourselves we can help ensure the safety of others and ourselves.

Everyone deserves to be safe in their own environment.