Loretto Cross Country takes state

Photos courtesy of: Summer Sanders

Madelynne Sandoval, Sports Editor

Loretto Academy’s 2018-2019 varsity Cross Country team recently qualified and participated in state.

The 2019 TAPPS state event took place in Waco, Texas.

The girls who qualified for state were as follows: Summer Sanders (senior), Regina Deandar (senior), Marcela Perches (junior), Britney Martinez (sophomore), Amanda Torres (sophomore), Andre Baeza (sophomore), and Moriah Martínez (freshman).

The girls competed in a two mile run, with a course consisting of rolling hills, mud puddles, and long curves.

Summer Sanders , a senior at Loretto Academy said, “It [state] felt amazing, I am proud of my team and I am happy with myself because I realized how hard work really does pay off.”

As a team, the girls did not win any major titles, but just qualifying alone is a major accomplishment.

Sophomore Britney Martinez placed 12th against over 100 girls.

Regina Deandar, a senior at Loretto said, “It is bittersweet to have reached the end of the season because although I am relieved I do not have to go to a cross fit gym at 5:30am, this is the last time I will be going through this routine.

I will no longer be part of the Loretto cross country after this year but I am grateful that I have had the opportunity to be part of such a great team.”

Loretto Academy congratulations the girls and coaches on another successful season.

State concludes the 2018 season.