NHS welcomes new members

Senior Carolina Fernandez (pictured left) and Junior Maria Fuentes (pictured right) are paired together to participate in Ring Rose. Each pair celebrated afterwards and took photos in front of the gym. Photo courtesy of Maria Fuentes

Ava Bonilla, Loretto News Editor

On April 19, 2023, the National Honor Society (NHS) inducted its new members for the 2023-2024 school year.
Sophomores and juniors with high GPAs were selected to apply before Spring Break.
Their applications were then reviewed by the faculty committee, and 47 girls were accepted as new members.
On the day of the induction ceremony, existing members tapped a new inductee with a rose, handed them a key, and walked them down the aisle in the gym to receive a candle.
NHS President Anette Valdes, Vice President Regina Leyva, Secretary Ava Bonilla, and Project Manager Zuleika Botello gave a speech on the qualities of an NHS member.
These qualities were Character, Leadership, and Service.
Loretto’s president Ms. Cobb announced the new members, and each lit their candles to symbolize the sacredness of the club.
The new inductees then took an oath, promising to fulfill the duties of a member of the NHS, and blew out their candles.
NHS sponsor Helen Martinez said, “My advice to the new members is to keep your grades up, stay out of trouble, and don’t cheat.”
Within the next couple of weeks, elections were held for a new president, vice president, and secretary.
Sophia Merjil will be serving as President, and Mia Bolivar as Vice President.
Martinez said, “This year, I am looking forward to seeing more service and community involvement.”
Congratulations from The Prax Staff to all the new inductees!