SHOUT Week at Loretto

The aftermath of the earthquake in Turkey. The 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit Turkey and Syria on Feb. 6, 2023. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Mia Montelongo, Staff Reporter

Every year at Loretto Academy, the high school gathers together in a week full of fun games and activities to raise donations for the charity of its choice.

The week is called SHOUT Week, which stands for ‘Students Helping Out.”

This year, Loretto decided to make their annual SHOUT Week donation to the victims of the earthquake in Turkey and Syria.

This week’s activities included:

Meditation Monday: Students raised $20 as a class and could skip class and meditate in the gym.

Tuesday Brunch Social: Students paid $5 in any of the first four class periods and went to El Convento for a brunch social with friends.

Wednesday College Day: For $2 per person, students wore their favorite college merch with leggings. Seniors were advised to wear the college they are planning on attending.

Thursday Movie Day: Students raised $25 as a class to skip class to go to the Little Theater to watch a movie. For an extra $10 per class, popcorn was provided. For an extra $2, students could also wear Crocs or slippers.

Friday Assembly: All the student body wore their SHOUT Week shirts with jeans and reported to the gym during the last period. They watched an informative video about female education in Afghanistan. Students also learned the Tik Tok dance “Calm Down” by Rema. The dance raises awareness of the Iranian women who were arrested for dancing in public.

SHOUT Week is a great way for the girls to be able to give back to the community.

Sophomore Melania Martinez said, “ The importance of SHOUT Week is for the girls to be to help out by raising money.

It is also exciting that we can do so in fun ways.”

Loretto was able to raise $3,664 through the students’ generous donations.

What a great week to be an angel!