Rising Local Director and Writer Fundraises for His First Feature Film

Dakota Thomas (left) is a local director and writer that shared insight into his artistry and new upcoming film and fundraiser. Thomas’ first feature film, “Bedridden” (right) will hopefully be released in October of 2021. Photo Courtesy by Dakota Thomas

Arissa Ramirez, Entertainment Section Reporter

Dakota Thomas, a twenty-nine year old born and raised El Pasoan and Burges High School graduate has been given the opportunity of a lifetime.

Thomas’ upcoming feature horror film, “Bedridden,” held a fundraiser to raise money for the many costs that come with making a film as an independent group. 

“Bedridden” tells the story of Teri, a weary widow, coming home from the hospital facing the painful task of rebuilding her life as a single mother, following a traumatic encounter with an armed assailant. When her worst fears seemingly come true, Teri finds herself bedridden and trapped in a cat and mouse game of life and death.

Thomas has many other published works such as: “Don’t Look Under the Bed” (2010), “Opening Night” (2014) which stars actress Tuesday Knight, “Voyeur” (2017) which won Best Horror Film at the Los Angeles Shorts Awards, and “One Last Scare” (2018). 

Thomas sat down with The Prax to talk about his career, “Bedridden”, and the fundraiser.

Q: How did you get into becoming a writer and director?

A: “I’ve always had a desire to entertain people. I think everyone is put on this Earth with a purpose that we are to set out to achieve. Mine just happens to be a part of the entertainment industry. I look back and read in my baby book that I used to recreate scenes from movies when I was little. That to me really signifies that this is the line of work I was destined to be a part of… There isn’t really one specific moment in my life that stands out as a waving flag of when I decided to write and direct. It has just always been a part of me. I am a storyteller. Making films, writing films, directing films, gives me that opportunity to share my stories with others.”

Q: Where did your love for horror come from?do

A: “I think it is safe for me to say that I have had a lifelong love affair with horror. My first memory in life is going to the movies to watch one of the “Friday the 13th” sequels with my mom. I was about two years old. She is a big fan of the genre and passed that love down to me. I have really found memories of going to Blockbuster on Friday nights and her renting some of the classic horror films to show me. I grew up watching these films, terrified of them, but also so intrigued by how they were made. I can remember being six or seven years old and trying to figure out how they did the special make-up effects. To me, that was like a magic trick. They were able to do something that wasn’t real, but make it look real. It fools us as the audience watching. 

Q: How do you feel about getting the opportunity to create a feature film?

A: I am thrilled to be able to finally be doing a feature film. I have been doing short films for years now, and as a filmmaker, there is always an inch to do more. The endgame goal is to do a feature film. So, finally, now is the time to do that. Beyond my own excitement, I am equally grateful to be able to do this film in my hometown, in my own backyard, with the support of my friends and family, and with a local cast and crew that I greatly respect. I am humbled by their involvement. 

Q: Where did the idea of “Bedridden” come from?

A: ““Bedridden” is actually loosely based on one of the first short films that I ever made, “Don’t Look Under the Bed”. The idea for that film has always stayed in the back of my head since we filmed it in 2010. I always thought there was more to that story to explore.”  

Q: How do you feel about the cast and crew of “Bedridden”?

A: “The cast and crew is made up of all local talent. These are people mostly born and raised in El Paso. I think that sometimes there isn’t enough of a spotlight shined on the talent we have within our own hometown. These people deserve to be recognized. The star of “Bedridden”, Elizabeth Elise Gonzalez, is my secret weapon. She is a force to be reckoned with and I really do envision her winning an Academy Award someday… I am very, very lucky to have been able to assemble this group of people who not only love their craft, but believe in my vision. Also, for me, and selfishly so, I can’t wait to just sit back and watch them do what they do best, and that is bringing my script to life. What more could a first time director/writer ask for?”

Q: Tell me about your fundraiser, and why it is needed for those that don’t know much about movie making and the costs related to it?

A: As an independent filmmaker you don’t have a lot of money to work with… Just like anything else, movies cost money… When we make a movie we have to pay for locations, music, costumes, props, make-up and food. With our IndieGoGo campaign we set out to raise $5,000 in order to be able to pay everyone and buy everything we need to make the film. By the time your article comes out, the campaign will most likely be over. And based on the amount we have raised as of today, it looks like we will have been successful and raised the full amount needed.  Very exciting.

Q: How has the COVID-19 Pandemic positively or negatively affected your film/passion of writing and directing?

A: We are used to having hurdles thrown our way in the indie film world. We are used to being problem solvers. COVID-19 certainly is a hurdle throw in front of everyone’s feet. I can tell you I never expected to live through anything like this in my lifetime. If anything, in the writing process, I knew that the scope of the film was going to have to be small… I don’t want to expose anyone to the virus. I also want to ensure we are following guidelines, which is to not social gather. My biggest concern is not just for my cast and crew, but also for the families they go home to. So, I wrote a small film that can be made with just a few people in an attempt to keep COVID at bay. As far as being on set goes, we will wear our masks, we won’t social gather and I’m also a big believer in vitamins, and staying healthy, so, all of that will be provided for my cast and crew.

Q: Do you have a release date and platform where “Bedridden” can be watched when it is released?

A: October is our goal! It just makes sense to get a horror film out in time for Halloween. We’re hoping to set-up some local showings in town, which will give the people of El Paso a chance to see this homegrown movie. Beyond that, we will be sending the film to film festivals and looking for a distributor to hopefully get the film on dvd/blu-ray or a streaming service of some kind like Hulu, Amazon or Netflix.

On Friday, February 27, 2021 Thomas announced on his Instagram that “Bedridden” was officially fully funded; the fundraiser did however continue through the end of Tuesday, March 2nd and ended with a total of $5,090. El Pasoans will definitely be looking forward to October 2021.

Watchers can support and stay up to date with the film on Facebook @officialbedriddenmovie and on Instagram @bedriddenofficalmovie.