Unconventional new Halloween tradition

Photo courtesy of the author

Ms. Ray’s homeroom rocking their Halloween costumes. Their activities included origami, drawing, and desserts!

Daniela Martell, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Numerous Loretto events and traditions have been canceled due to the pandemic, however for this year’s Halloween event was reinvented. 

Traditionally there would be a pumpkin decorating contest where every high school student participated. 

Girls running around the hallways with paint on their hands was a sight to hold. 

However this year a traditional pumpkin decorating contest was out of the question. 

Instead, the student council organized a long homeroom with a Halloween activity event. 

The girls had a long homeroom where they could do a Halloween activity varying from Halloween themed cookies, Halloween makeup, to Pumpkin decorating. 

The variety of activities gave girls the opportunity to participate with whichever materials they had in their homes, minimizing the risks of going out to buy materials and endangering themselves.

Many homeroom reps played either Halloween songs or Halloween movies. 

Ms. Rays’ homeroom had Chucky playing in the background as the girls did their activities. 

The girls were able to wear a Halloween costume which would give them points. 

Friendly competition has always been enforced in Loretto traditions to motivate students. 

This activity was no different since the class with the most points would win a prize. 

The points were counted through participation, costumes, and trivia questions asked by the leadership girls. 

The freshmen ended with 161 points, sophomores with 210 points, juniors with 159 points, and seniors with 292 points, making them the winners of this activity. 

The prize has not yet been announced however the seniors were the winners, making their last Loretto  Halloween tradition a memorable one. 

This was technically the first engaging activity for the freshmen. 

Freshman Fernanda Escobedo, said, “I enjoyed my activity very much! In my homeroom, we watched the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas and we each had to make cookies, a drink, or origami.”

Loretto should not allow the pandemic to stop these traditions that make up Loretto. 

Sure, they are not quite conventional however they help students and teachers stay motivated and have something to look for during the week.