Nutcracker: Classic Christmas story

The+dance+of+the+Snowflakes.+It+is+one+of+the+many+dances+in+The+Nutcracker.+Photo+courtesy+of+the+El+Paso+Ballet+Instagram.+

The dance of the Snowflakes. It is one of the many dances in The Nutcracker. Photo courtesy of the El Paso Ballet Instagram.

Cristina Robles, Entertainment and Class Sections Editor

The Nutcracker is a production produced by the El Paso Ballet Theater in which many of our Loretto students perform.  

The Loretto students performing are seniors Rebecca Terrazas and Victoria Villarreal and sophomore Belycia Rivas. 

The show will be held at UTEP Magoffin Auditorium and presented on December 6 at 7:30 p.m., December 7 at 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., and the last showing is on December 8 at 2:30 p.m. 

This performance will be like none other, featuring a live performance from an orchestra!

Terrazas has been dancing ballet for 16 years, while Villarreal has been dancing since she was two years old. 

In The Nutcracker, Terrazas danced as the dewdrop, a snowflake, an Arabian, and for one night, she was the Sugar Plum Fairy. 

Being part of The Nutcracker takes skill and determination, having rehearsals every day from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and having eight hour weekend rehearsals to prepare for the show. 

Terrazas said, “The rehearsal process was very, very tiring and rough because everything had to look seamless and perfect because that’s just the way dance is.”   

Rivas, the sophomore class president, shows that school is not the only thing she is dedicated to. 

Rivas has been dancing for 12 years.

She said, “The best part of dancing The Nutcracker was my friends.” 

Rivas danced the parts of Snowflake, waltz, and the Arabian dance. 

The dedication and love they all have for dancing is incredible, and not many people are able to have that. 

Terrazas said, “The best part about dancing is the discipline and maturity you get at a very young age and also the friendships you make.” 

The talent and dedication these Loretto alums present for dance is incredible.

They show everything a Loretto woman aspires to be: determined, disciplined, and hardworking.