Day of colors

Photo courtesy of Sophia Navarro. Madison Leyva cheering for the Junior class.

Jimena Hallal, Reporter

Field day has been a tradition at Loretto Academy for many years and this year the tradition continued on.

On Thursday, September 27, members from every classification filed into the gym with anticipation for what the day would bring.

For some, it was their first year participating in the fun-filled day, and for others it was their last year.

The day began with the seniors running around the gym yelling their class cheer.

Once the girls settled down, the day officially began with the traditional prayer that begins every day at Loretto as well as the special assemblies that are held all throughout the year.

Unlike years in the past, however, the different classifications played against each other by competing against everyone instead of by one classification playing another classification all day long.

Photo courtesy of Sophia Navarro. Junior Manatsu Nakamura in an intense game of tug-a-war.

The different classifications would be told where their next event would be and once they would get to their designated spots they would compete against a team they had yet to play.

Throughout the day there were activities at the pool, in the blacktop, at the gym, and the soccer field.

The events included some traditional ones such as tug-of-war and filling up a bucket with water and a sponge.

However, new events were brought in, such as jumping from one end of the line of hula hoops to the other end and if you bumped into a competitor you had to play paper, scissors, rocks against them.

When the day began there was the expectation that the seniors would win like previous years, but as the day continued the seniors were neck-in-neck with the other classifications.

Despite not knowing what the day would bring, every classification fought with all their might so that the would be crowned queens of the 2018-2019 school year.

The competition between everyone did not bring hatred, instead it brought everyone in the same classifications closer.

Andrea Carranco, a freshman at Loretto Academy, said, “We got to bond with everyone in our class and it was fun.”

At the end of the day, however the winners of the day were the seniors, then in second place the sophomores, in third place juniors, and last but not least the freshman

Thank you to the Loretto Athletic Association for the fun-filled day!