Greek tragedy art exhibition

The students represented other characters like the Queen of Thebes, Antigone and Ismene. they used colorful paint, glitter, markers, and others used recycled materials. Photo courtesy of Ms. Kimpell.

Isabel Garza, Class Sections Editor

English literature studies as a high school student are necessary for the modern world, they inspire change and innovative thinking but also help build a point of view on current issues globally.

The Loretto sophomores know the importance of understanding a literature piece all too well and the English teacher, Ms. Kimpell made sure to keep them engaged as they navigated the plot.

Their assignment consisted of connecting character traits from the Greek tragedy, Oedipus and showing them physically on a mask.

Students got creative and represented the motif of meeting one’s destiny and accepting fate without resistance.

In the story, Oedipus Rex lets his immense pride bring about his physical and emotional downfall.

The moral teaching along with the creative flow of emotions enabled students to learn and have fun.

Ms. Kimpell said, “I wanted to do something creative with the story, sort of like an artistic characteristic paper.”

“We read the play in class and we acted it out as we went along, then they worked in groups and I had them find quotes.”

The diversity of design filled the halls and uniquely decorated them; one of Ms. Kimpell’s students, Areli Davila, shared her experience.

Avila said, “I felt a little stressed to achieve what my teacher was asking me to do.

I wasn’t that sure if I was doing a good job, but it was better for me so I could understand the story.

I actually understood the characters and their personalities, unlike when I have to take a quiz.” 

Her steps consisted of buying the mask, then painting it “skin color”, cutting up some yarn for the character’s beard, and lastly, coloring black eyes for her character.

She represented the physical traits of Teiresias, a blind prophet who predicted Oedipus’ blinding and exile.

The sophomores learned a new way to express what they learned while reading the Greek tragedy and in return, they expressed their learning and did an amazing job.