Time of need, opportunity to help

During the past weeks, migrants have been gathering in the international bridge as a protest. The barriers they have been facing with migrant regulations in addition to the conditions they are living in shows the hardships of a migrant’s situation. Photo courtesy of: Luis Torres for EFE News Agency.

Isabel Garza, Class Sections Editor

As a border city, El Paso has seen many instances of immigration throughout its history.

Beginning in the 1990’s the first surge of migrants was due to the Mexican Revolution which increased immigration rates tremendously.

The number of migrant encounters has fluctuated since the start of the century, and during the pandemic, it drastically lowered.

But nowadays, this has changed, the  U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has reported the passing of migrants from Mexico, Guatemala, Cuba, Honduras, and Venezuela among 20 other countries.

In the U.S.- Mexico border, there have reportedly been 1.6 million encounters this year.

The increase in migrants who come from Venezuela to Juarez and El Paso is a record number in the history of the cities.

Texas states that they cannot cope with any more migrant arrivals, even if they have endured a 4969 km journey.

Mexico reported that they received more than 58000 refugee applications in 2022 but this number increased 15% in 2023.

Risking their lives in the hopes of a better one, Venezuelans and other migrants face the danger of accidents, difficulties, setbacks, and harsh weather conditions.

On August 23, 2022, an eight-year-old migrant from Guatemala was swept away by the current of the Rio Grande, the dividing river that separates El Paso and Juarez.

The infant migrant passed away because of drowning.

The Rio Grande is a common path migrants take to hopefully get to the other side, but most of them are not informed of the danger.

Nature-caused or man-made difficulties, both impact and add to the already burdensome situation of migrants, who decide to leave their lives behind and put their careers and families on hold. 

On March 27, 2023, a migrant staying at the immigration agency in Juarez, right next to the international bridge, started a fire in the men’s detention area.

After being informed of his status with his refugee application and a reference to the word deportation, he decided to grab the attention of some guards by setting a few mattresses on fire, but it got out of control.

Security cameras in the cell captured the smoke quickly filling the room in which 68 male migrants were.

In this tragedy, 40 men were killed and according to local newspapers, the personnel who had entrance keys to the detention facilities did not let the victims out on time.

There are ways as a community that Loretto students can reach out especially in times of tragedy. 

After all, this isn’t a problem that only affects the people in search of a better life, Loretto is an institution that has many students that come in contact with the border twice a day.

HOPE club, the Women Empowering Women Club, and the Middle School have done an excellent job at setting the example for an efficient course of helping action.

Sr. Becky Perez, the head of this project said,

“Migrants count on Loretto to help out with donations like food items, medical items, first aid kits, clothing, toys, crayons, and books.

HOPE went out on a no-school day and spent the day helping out ”

Another school wrote cards in Spanish for the victims of the fire and their families. 

“The cards said messages like I’m praying for you, I’m sorry that I can’t help you materialistically but I’m praying for you”, said Sr. Perez.

The brave people who set out on journeys to look for a better life are willing to put many things on the line but they also need help.