Mission of faith

This image captures missionaries reenacting Jesus’ resurrection. Each member of the group dressed in different parts for the reenactment. Photo courtesy of Patricia Fernandez.

Viviana Orozco, Staff Reporter

During Holy Week, a group of young students went on an enlightening trip to strengthen their faith.

Each group, composed of teenagers, traveled to different, secluded places around northern Mexico, like the town of Arisachi. 

The establishments in which they stayed were rustic and lacked any electricity, missionaries slept on the floor and cooked their own food every mealtime. 

Missionaries woke up at 6:30 a.m. every morning, walking around town and inviting everyone to the celebrations they were hosting. 

They would run a catechism for kids, where they would teach them all about faith and acquaint them with Catholicism. 

Later in the day, they would host catechism for other teenagers, giving everyone an equal opportunity of getting to know God. 

They also invited adults to the catechism, visiting around and giving them the option of attending. 

The missionaries would pray every morning after waking up, and every night before going to sleep. 

On Good Friday, April 7th, missionaries invited the townspeople to participate in a reenactment of Jesus’ resurrection. 

“Playing a part in the reenactment of Jesus’ resurrection was surreal,” Loretto senior and missionary Patricia Fernandez said, “because you truly see what Jesus went through, and it’s inexplicable.”

On Holy Saturday, April 8th, missionaries made food for everyone in town and threw a party with piñatas and candy for the children. 

Every day around 6, they go to the chapel, where they listen to the first and second reading, the gospel, and the homily. 

Missioning is an enlightening experience for everyone involved, and can truly be an eye-opening experience for young people. 

It is a trip that focuses on personal growth and broadening your perspective of the world, ideal for young people who want to strengthen and explore their faith.

Personal growth and a broadened perspective are worth roughing up. 

The opportunity to mission is a very treasured one by all of the missionaries, the building of trust and relationships with the people they serve helps connect them with God and to find a new understanding of their faith.