Signing off

Signing+off

Orlyanka Tantchou, Co-Editor-in-Chief

When I first walked into journalism class the second week of junior year, I had no idea in what ways it would impact my life.

I joined journalism as a result of a scheduling conflict which turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Our daily current event conversations kept me aware of what events were happening in my school, local, and national communities.

Watching the news became a frequent activity for me as I realized the importance of being informed.

Mrs. Lockhart taught me that to be a skilled journalist you must be knowledgeable about the news.

I felt fulfilled and proud of myself for contributing to discussions at my family dinner table about the current political climate and striking global issues.

I walked in without knowing the difference between a descriptive and anecdotal lede but over the course of a year, I learned all of those fundamental skills. 

I would like to thank Mrs. Lockhart for believing in my fellow Co-Editor-in-Chief Mia Badillo and myself to lead the Prax.

She has shown us tremendous support, reassurance, and guidance as we navigate the tasks that come with the territory of the job.

Together, Mia and I have gained incredible leadership skills to guide our peers and built a strong friendship. 

This class has transformed me into a different writer and helped me form an angle before writing a piece.

I gained confidence in my writing after I turned in a draft and when my group selected me to read in front of the class.

It’s been hard sometimes to keep my opinion out of certain articles I write, but it is a valuable skill that I’ve learned. 

We also get the opportunity to watch many movies that remind us of the responsibility of a journalist’s voice in the media. 

We learn many life lessons outside of the class content in this world that is always changing. 

Though, the course requires hard work and commitment it is nothing students should shy away from.

These past two years in journalism have been a blast and I encourage others to join and reap the benefits.

As I say goodbye to my Prax family, I am leaving with a strong foundation and a plethora of experiences I will always hold dear to my heart.

Thank you to my classmates that made every class enjoyable and Mrs. Lockhart for coming to school with a detailed lesson plan and being eager to teach.

A special thanks to Mrs. Lockhart for always motivating us to come to every class ready to work and for creating such a memorable experience for us.