Loretto offers new opportunities

Loretto Academy will offer these classes for the 2023-2024 school year. Classes are available for all grade levels excluding the senior-exclusive college preparation class, and the junior and senior exclusive health classes. Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.

Viviana Orozco, Staff Reporter

Loretto Academy brings new opportunities for the 2023-2024 school year with new classes available for students to take. 

Loretto has always had a full curriculum, but with the new school year around the corner, the school has established a new spread of electives that will help incoming seniors with college preparation.

The new electives will help each senior with their major, so they can gain experience and get ahead on their career path. 

Current students were called into the school library two weeks before spring break to use the school computers to register for their classes.

The registration process was done in the school’s system, Blackbaud, which made choosing classes more time-efficient for students. 

Juniors were the first to register, followed by sophomores and freshmen. 

The new spread of electives includes major-focused classes like health I & health II, creative writing, STEM/engineering, debate, and college transition/university 101.

In health I and health II, juniors and seniors who intend to go into the medical field in college will study the human body and how to keep themselves healthy. 

In creative writing, students of all grade levels will be able to study different writing processes and exercise their writing skills. 

In STEM/engineering, students who intend to go into any STEM field will have an opportunity to get acquainted with the STEM world and gain preparation before they enter their major. 

Previously known as a club, the debate class will be focused on building steady arguments and creating future leaders. 

The full-year college-focused class, university 101, intends to help Loretto seniors make the most of their opportunities and choose the best paths for themselves when it comes to everything college, and it is a full-year class. 

Loretto Academic Advisor Crystal Artalejo said, “These new classes will help prepare seniors for college readiness and to fulfill the standards of Loretto. 

Other schools in El Paso offer these types of classes, and we wanted to bring those opportunities to Loretto.” 

Seniors will be guided through the general application and financial aid process. 

Artalejo said, “I will teach seniors how to apply for highly-competitive scholarships, meet deadlines for Ivy League universities, and will take them on field trips to college campuses in and out of El Paso.” 

Loretto junior Roberta Iñarritu said, “The class that excites me the most is health, I think it is very important to learn how to keep yourself healthy. 

You don’t always need a nutritionist to know how to nourish your body.”

Loretto Academy will continue to excellently prepare its students for college next year, and do everything to give them the best future possible.