Loretto honors its beloved sports teams

Some of Loretto’s varsity basketball team posing after the award ceremony with JV coach, Tony. From left to right Coach Tony, Bella Herrera, Bella Candia, Sophia Ryan, and Mia Montelongo. Photo Courtesy of Mia Montelongo

Mia Montelongo, Staff Reporter

On Feb. 28, 2023, Loretto Academy held its annual sports banquet for the soccer, basketball, and swim teams.

All of the athlete’s families and friends were invited to come to celebrate the team’s accomplishments and watch the athletes be awarded for their hard work and dedication.  

The awards included were: 

Varsity Basketball 

• Best Defensive player Award-  Sophia Ryan 
  • Angel Award- Mia Montelongo 
  • Most Dedicated Award- Isabella Candia 
  • Most Improved Award- Lauren Domengeaux 

Varsity Soccer

• Defensive Player of the Year- Juliana Espinoza  
  • Offensive Player of the Year-  Andrea Palm 
  • Most Improved Player of the Year- Camila Fernandez and Mariana Orozco 
  • Most Value Player-  Sophia Merjil 
  • Angel Award- Sofia Valverde

Varsity Swim

• Most Valuable Player-  Tenley Reha 
  •  Up and Coming Award- Aubrey Reha 
  •  Angel Award- Maria Graciela Enriquez
  •  Most Improved Award- Isela Iglesias

A tradition that also takes place at the banquet is that the seniors are gifted a yellow bouquet of flowers honoring all of the years they have played sports at Loretto Academy. 

Senior and swim team captain,  Tenley Reha, said, “ It definitely broke my heart a bit because this was pretty much the end of my 13-year swimming career. 

I was also proud because we had a very, very difficult season but we kept pushing to be better.

For those unable to attend this year’s banquet, I advise you to attend next year to hear emotional and heartwarming speeches, eat delicious food, and watch Loretto’s athletes receive the recognition they deserve. 

Basketball player and freshman, Precious Pieri, said, “ The sports banquet shows how much hard work pays off and that all our efforts were worthwhile.

I had a ton of fun being with my friends and cheering and supporting everyone as they received their awards.”

Thank you to all the coaches, athletes, parents, and Ms. Glover for these amazing sports seasons and for hosting this memorable banquet.