Loretto takes on immersive art experience

Digital image of Vincent Van Gogh’s self-portrait at the El Paso County Coliseum. Van Gogh was a Dutch painter. Photo courtesy of Mia Montelongo

Mia Montelongo, Staff Reporter

On Jan. 13, Loretto’s art students went to the Van Gogh Immersive Art Exhibit, where they learned about Van Gogh’s life story while viewing some of his best artwork.

The Van Gogh exhibit digitalizes some of his best art pieces and brings the art to life.

The exhibit was inside the El Paso County Coliseum, and the tickets started at $39.99 for adults and $23.99 for children ages 5-15.

This was an experience for Loretto’s art students to see the beauty of art and its characteristics come to life.

Loretto’s art teacher, Mr. Benero, was thrilled that the students got to participate in this opportunity.

Benero said, “It gave me the opportunity to pull the learning from the textbook and let the students see it in the real world.

The exhibit was encapsulating and changed my perspective from the original painting.”

The display was in El Paso for about a month, allowing many El Pasoans to enjoy it over the holidays.

Many students from Loretto who went were pleased with what the display had to offer.

Junior Daniela Rodriguez said, “I would recommend the Van Gogh museum to others.

It is a great experience and opens your eyes to Van Gogh’s life and how his paintings came to be.”

Hopefully, the exhibit will come back soon, and for sure, all the Loretto art students would encourage you to Gogh.