Voting to make change

The midterm elections were held on November 8, 2022, and decided a handful of representative, senator, and governor seats. The results this year were a red trickle, as opposed to the red wave that experts were expecting. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Orlyanka Tantchou, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Voters dash in and out of their local polling places to let their voices be heard in the midterm elections that decide who occupies the governor, senator, and house seats. 

A rundown on the midterm elections

Midterm elections are held two years into the president’s four-year term and always on the Tuesday following the first Monday of November.

On November 8, 2022, all 435 U.S. House of Representatives seats were up for grabs for a two-year term.

Since, senators sit in office for a six-year term, only 33 of the 100 seats are marked on the ballot, as well as governors in 36 states running for election.

The ballots are in and Democrats remain in control of the Senate with a 50 to 49 majority.

With a Democrats majority, they have the ability to veto bills passed by the House, support President Biden’s judicial appointments

The road to the elections was a bumpy one and I’ll take you through the most eventful debates.

Loretto Angels use their voices

Several Loretto seniors turned the legal age of 18 and voted in the midterm elections.

Voting information was available at Loretto on how to register those who were of age.

Voting is not a task that should be taken lightly and should reflect our voice on how democracy should be run.

Loretto senior, Kattya Chacon said, “This whole process was both nerve-wracking and exciting for me to be able to have a say in what happens in our government.

I felt this was a responsibility and privilege that I had to act on because I had the new ability to make that change. 

As I double-checked my ballot and turned it in, I was anxious for the results, but it was a learning experience I will never forget.”

Many angels did their research ahead of placing their vote to make good choices for the future of our country.

Loretto senior, Regina Leyva said, “It felt great, it felt for the first time I had a chance to be an upstander and not just look from the sidelines, as I’ve done in the past.

I had experience by working as a clerk at a local polling station so I wasn’t overwhelmed at all.”

Takeaways from Abbott v. O’Rourke

Democratic candidate, Beto O’Rourke speaks at a rally at the University of Texas in San Antonio. O’Rourke has made engaging the youth a priority throughout his campaign. Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.

Republican Gov. Greg Abbot was running for reelection in Texas against the Democratic nominee Beto O’Rourke.

This Texas election was focused on gun control after the shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde. 

After cries for help from students, police officers still took their time to put an end to the violence that wreaked havoc in Uvalde.

Abbot praised this ‘quick’ response ultimately receiving lots of criticism from O’Rourke and the media.

O’Rourke confronted Abbott at the conference he held to address the shooting.

O’Rourke said, “This is on you.

You are doing nothing.

You are offering nothing.

You said this was not predictable.

This is totally predictable when you choose not to do anything.”

Though O’Rourke was slammed for ‘stepping out of line’ the message he had at heart was the right one.

This was arguably the peak of the race where Texans got to choose where they stand with gun control and if they were willing to risk another school shooting happening.

Abbott has plans to continue the busing program that transports migrants to Democrat-heavy cities, one bus even making its way to Vice President Harris’ house.

If re-elected he seeks to make immigrant law enforcement even stricter, while his opponent has opposing beliefs on immigration.

Since his run for U.S. Senate in 2018, many Texans have waited for O’Rourke to be elected to office to mend the ways in which the law isn’t fair to all people and turn Texas blue.

His 49-day campaign in Texas started with his rally in El Paso and ended with his election party where he lost to Abbott.

O’Rourke said, “I don’t know what my role or yours will be moving forward, but I’m in this fight for life.”

Many El Pasoans are devastated but this law and the opportunity to have an advocate for humanity in one of the biggest offices in the United States.

O’Rourke has yet to make any further announcements regarding the future of his political career.

Takeaways from Oz v. Fetterman

Republican gubernatorial candidate, Dr. Mehmet Oz spoke at a rally in Pennsylvania, with Donald Trump making stops along his trail. The slogan of his campaign was “Save America”. Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.

The senate race in Pennsylvania was between Lt. Gov. John Fetterman and well-known doctor and Republican candidate Mehmet Oz.

The Democratic nominee, Fetterman suffered a stroke last May, which was the main verbal insult the MAGA enthusiast kept using to make him seem incapable of the position.

Oz mentioned Fetterman’s health in his campaign to persuade the audience to vote for him.

Some of the effects from his stroke still lingered and created challenges with his speech, which he graciously addressed at the beginning of the debate,

At times, Fetterman struggled to process questions and quickly think of phrases to provide an articulate response.

His medical professionals confirmed he was in good health to run for senator.

Of course, Oz had wild opinions pertaining to the choices a woman should make about her own body.

Oz said, “There should not be involvement by the federal government by how states their abortion decisions.

I want women, doctors, and local political leaders to let the democracy that’s always allowed our nation to thrive put the best ideas forward so states can decide for themselves.”

I was shocked by his responses to many questions and how he failed to give a clear stance on straightforward issues.

Fetterman said, “I want to look into the faces of every woman in Pennsylvania, if you believe the choice of your reproductive freedom belongs to Dr. Oz, then you have a choice. 

But, if you believe the choice of abortion belongs between you and your doctor, that’s what I fight for.”

On another note, Fetterman condemned America’s recent way of handing immigrants and sending them on buses to various locations without their permission,

Oz suggested that the only way to solve the humanitarian crisis is to pass stricter immigration laws.

As if that wasn’t enough, the cherry on top is that Oz announced his support for Trump’s presidential campaign for 2024.

Fetterman was ultimately chosen by the people to be Pennsylvania’s senator and raised awareness of the struggle to fight through medical differences and disadvantages.

Takeaways from Warnock v. Walker

Candidates Warner and Walker will go head to head in the runoff election on December 6, 2022. The turnout this election has been very high, with over one million voters casting their ballots for early voting. Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.

Republican Hershel Walker went up against Democratic Georgia Senator Raphael Warnock in an intense debate that was one of the most watched in history.

From the get-go, Walker’s stance on the issue of abortion has been questionable.

Two women anonymously accused him of pressuring them into getting an abortion at the tail end of their relationship, which Walker has continuously called “lies”.

During their debate, Walker said, “on abortion, I’m a Christian.

I believe in life.

Georgia is a state that respects life.”

In Georgia, women are not allowed an abortion after six weeks, with exceptions for incest or rape.

His opponent, Warnock voiced abortion rights should be handled without the government.

Warnock said, “A patient’s room is too narrow and small and cramped for a woman, her doctor, and the US government…I trust women more than I trust politicians.”

Medicaid expansion was on the table for debate because Georgia has millions of citizens who don’t have insurance.

While Warnock is in favor of expanding health care to low-income residents, Walker danced around the question. 

Walker has a troubled past with police officers which were mentioned during the debate.

When speaking on low police morale, Warner attacked Walker for pretending he was a police officer as a practical joke and threatening to kill the police.

Subsequently, Warner disobeyed the debate regulations and pulled out a police badge labeled a prop by the moderator.

Neither Warner nor Walker received the majority of votes in the election so both candidates will face off in a runoff election that will be held on December 6, 2022. 

Voters were required to be registered by November 7th and will be allowed to complete an absentee vote.

The results for the runoff elections are in and the Democratic incumbent, Warnock successfully defeated Walker.

After this tight race, the Senate has a wider majority with 51 to 49 seats.

Moments after he won the election, Warner said, “After a hard-fought campaign, or should I say campaigns, it is my honor to utter the four most powerful words ever spoken in a democracy — the people have spoken.”

As a community, we need to make the best decision to support each other and help the underprivileged.

There was a lot at stake in these midterm elections that had the capacity of endangering several of our human rights and freedoms.

It is important to get the youth involved to make sure that all people are accurately represented and can serve as voices for the voiceless.

Information courtesy of CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, NPR, The Texas Tribune