El Paso holiday events guide

As Christmas is right around the corner, San Jacinto Plaza has transformed into a winter wonderland. Winterfest began on November 19th and will continue to attract guests until early January. Photo courtesy of the El Paso Times.

Orlyanka Tantchou, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Christmas lights and music brightening up the streets is a clear sign that the holiday season has arrived in El Paso, with several events already being celebrated.

El Paso is known for its annual winter celebration, WinterFest, lights shows, holiday markets, and more.

WinterFest

The ice skating rink is located outdoors in the Convention Center Plaza. WinterFest has many attractions to let kids feel the joy of Christ. Photo courtesy of the El Paso Times.

WinterFest will be held in downtown El Paso from November 19, 2022, to January 1, 2023.

The festival began in 2015 to kick off the holidays and partners with businesses, including Chick-Fil-A,  to make it come alive every year. 

The ice-skating rink is located at the Convention Center Plaza, with live entertainment every Friday and Saturday. 

Loretto senior Elena Alonso said, “I’ve gone to WinterFest in previous years, and this year ice rink was moved to near the stadium. 

The rink was larger, the lines were quicker than usual, and they added snow machines so it made it extra fun to skate.

I also got to see the parade with my friends and got to see people dressed in costumes, one dressed as the minions and Gru, which was hilarious.”

Holiday movies

The Plaza Theatre is showing free holiday movies by partnering with El Paso Community Foundation Plaza Classic Film Festival.

This year’s film event is sponsored by GECU.

The theater will show 18 movies from November 18 to December 18, including fan favorites, Home Alone, Elf, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and more. 

Lights on the Lake

The Holiday Lights of the Lake celebration will be held every weekend, with free admission, from November 25 ending the season on Christmas Day.

The event is held in the evening on the selected dates in Ascarate Park.

Not only will there be holiday lights at every corner, but there will be food trucks, visits from Santa, and live entertainment for all to enjoy.

Besides Lights on the Lake, there are several neighborhoods that take decorating their houses very seriously.

Loretto freshman Gianna Guerra said, “There are so many houses in my neighborhood with really intricate designs, very few left undecorated.

To prepare for the holiday season, my family sets up a projector that projects rainbow colors across my house.”

Santa sightings

Kids from all around the world look forward to Christmas to receive a visit from a friend who lives at the North Pole, Santa Claus.

His magic and his elves transport those who believe into a winter wonderland with every box from their wish list checked off. 

Santa Claus will be here for pictures at Cabelas, Sunland Park Mall, and Cielo Vista Mall through regular store hours until Christmas Eve.

Santa will also be at the El Paso Zoo from December 11-12 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Luminarias

Luminarias are placed around Scenic Drive during the Christmas season to guide the path to church. Inside the brown paper bag are sand and flameless candles. Photo courtesy of the El Paso Times.

Luminarias are a beloved tradition in El Paso, that quite literally lights up the streets.

At Loretto, freshmen, sophomores, and juniors are required to set up and clean up the luminarias on Christmas Eve to glow around the circle.

Luminarias can be found around the corner of every street to praise the spirit of Christ.

The Christmas spirit will be felt throughout El Paso with the revival of its most cherished traditions.

The whole month of December has an intense calendar for holiday events for everyone, including Loretto students, families, and alum.