Out with loved, in with who

Current Loretto Academy Student Body is shown dancing in the Kickoff Assembly. The Student Body is in charge of planning many unforgettable activities and traditions throughout the school year. Photo courtesy of Aurora Zepeda.

As the end of the school year approaches, it is never too early to start thinking about what’s to come beginning the school year of 2022-23.

Elections for the Student Body will be held Tuesday, April 26, 2022, during long homeroom.

Each candidate will be able to provide 6 posters that encourage the school to vote to promote their campaign.

Anything that could be considered buying votes including candy, prizes, food, etc, is not allowed to have a fair election. 

After interviewing some of the candidates for these future elections, many gave some insights about what they plan on working towards next year.

Jayne Nowak, running for president, said, “This year I was junior class president and I absolutely loved it.

Yes, it was a lot of hard work but I really enjoyed being able to get to know each and every one of my classmates and truly listen to their questions and concerns. 

My main goal at the beginning of the year was to be able to advocate for what each individual wanted and felt was needed.

I wanted to make everyone feel that they were truly heard, so it was an amazing experience getting to make that goal come to life. 

If I am elected student body president I plan to make sure that the same objective is present in the entire school and to work my hardest to bring the entire high school together.

If I am elected, I want to spread that joy to everyone and make sure everyone feels they have a place in the high school and that they belong.”

Another presidential nominee, Regina Leyva said, “Involvement is my number one goal. 

If I win the position of Student Body President, I will ensure that everyone feels included in all the activities the student council and I provide for you. 

I will listen and speak for what you have to say.”

Presidential nominee, Caitlin Mijares said, “I would definitely want to be a voice for the students.

Considering this is our school, we really don’t get a say in a lot of things and, if I became student body president, I would definitely like to fix that. 

However, I wouldn’t waste this opportunity on trivial things like free dress days and so on, but more on fewer restroom limitations due to feminine issues and things of that caliber. 

But again, I can’t promise things will work out the way we want them, but I can promise I will try to make the students’ voices and concerns heard.”

There are phenomenal candidates that will result in close competition but no matter what, all these goals will strengthen the sisterhood bond that Loretto is known for.

Current Student Body President, Aurora Zepeda describes her experience as president along with great advice.

Zepeda said, “Overall, I’ve really enjoyed my time on student council, especially this final senior year. 

I believe that the biggest challenge that comes with being student body President is having to learn good time management skills as well as looking at things in more than one way. 

There is always room for improvement, and your way may not always be the best way, so sometimes you have to try things in ways you are not used to.

Overall, the best advice I believe I can give future candidates is you have to be passionate about your work. 

You have to be willing to put in a lot of time and effort and lots of times step out of your comfort zone. 

Enjoy the ride and do the best you can.”

There are many great candidates for this year and we will surely have a successful year to come.

Update: The Student Body President and Vice President for the 2022-2023 school year are Eloisa Urrea and Anabella Aguilar.