Spring sports banquet

Loretto senior,  Carolina Garcia with her Most Improved Award. Garcia celebrated her last year as a Loretto swimmer. Photo courtesy of Brenda Garcia.

Loretto senior, Carolina Garcia with her Most Improved Award. Garcia celebrated her last year as a Loretto swimmer. Photo courtesy of Brenda Garcia.

Anacamila Anaya, Staff Reporter

Loretto had their spring sports banquet on February 28, 2022, after the last banquet back in January. 

This banquet has been a tradition since 1996. 

This February, they recognized girls from the swim team, soccer team, and basketball team. 

Here are the awards distributed at the banquet:

Swim team: 

• Isela Iglesias: Newcomer of the Year 
  • Taisset Quiroz: Newcomer of the Year
  • Carolina Garcia: Most Improved Swimmer
  • Sofía Ruiz del Hoyo: Most Improved Swimmer
  • Tenley Rhea: Most Valuable Swimmer
  • Jimena Vega: Angel Award
  • Elizabeth Gunnison: Angel Award

Soccer team:

• Mia Urias: Most Improved player
  • Sophia Merijil: MVP 

Basketball team: 

Varsity: 

• Midori Moreno: MVP
  • Angela: Angel Awards 

Junior Varsity: 

• Mia Montelongo: Most Improved
  • Olivia Torres: MVP
  • Bella Herrera: Angel Award
  • Sophia Ryan: Most Dedicated

Many seniors were able to participate in this year’s banquet and received awards as they started preparing themselves for their future plans.  

Loretto senior swimmer Carolina Garcia said,  “It’s a lot of fun, and it really just is one big family, we spend every day together, we train and compete all the time.

We support each other, and it just feels really rewarding to see the new swimmers and seeing my fellow seniors having grown so much.” 

Garcia dedicates a huge part of her time to swimming and can say that it paid off well. 

Garcia said, “The last meet that I competed in was regionals, and to swim the two events that I’ve been practicing for since I was a sophomore was really fun. 

I did really well in both of them, and it was a great way to end the high school swimming journey.” 

This is Garcia’s last year as a Loretto swimmer, and she will be very much missed by the coaches, as well as her teammates. 

These girls have worked very hard this season and can’t wait for what the future holds.