Battle of the sexes

Photo+courtesy+of+Traci+Presley.+Both+Loretto+and+Cathedral+take+a+photo+smile+together+for+a+photo.+

Photo courtesy of Traci Presley. Both Loretto and Cathedral take a photo smile together for a photo.

Celia Escobar, Loretto News Editor

Loretto Academy hosted a volleyball game against Cathedral High School on October 2, 2018 to raise money for the Loretto Athletics Association (LAA).

LAA is a club which handles the sports tournaments on campus, manages the teams, and organizes Field Day and other events.

The Loretto varsity team won the game in 3 sets against the all-boys high school located in Central El Paso.

The game ended up being an excellent way to grow the Loretto-Cathedral community, as turnout was much higher than expected from both high schools.

Photo courtesy of Traci Presley.                                      Senior Emma Presley with Cathedral players Byron Martinez, Marco Figueroa, and RJ Bowling.

Lauren Gil, Co Vice President of LAA, said, “We did this game as a way to raise money for accessories for the gym, and we thought it would be nice for the varsity girls to have a fun game during a serious season.

The whole competition aspect was exciting for both schools, and we ended up raising a lot of money”.

However, this isn’t the first time the schools have been apart of a tight knit community.
Loretto and Cathedral used to play each other in the early 2000s, but this year LAA took the liberty of bringing the event back this year.

After raising a total of $1159.00, the Loretto Athletics Association hopes to keep this tradition in the future and continue to raise money for the club.