Mental health is calling but no one answers

One in six people who have mental health-related issues are ages 10-19. In 2020, Texas was ranked 43rd among all 50 states, for the number of youth who experienced a major depressive episode and did not receive mental health services.

Allyn Ransone, Co-Editor-in-Chief

In the past decade, the USA has seen a rise in mental health issues and has worked to create ways to help.

The current phone number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1(800) 273-8255, it is available 24/7. 

In July 2022, a new phone number, 988, will be added so that it is easier to remember and more accessible. 

The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) states that they want the 988 number to become the 911 for suicide and other mental health-related concerns. 

An issue with this is that there has not been a national effort to make the regular citizen aware of this change. 

Another problem is that when people call this lifeline, they have been put on hold and even hung up on. 

In a CBS4 Indianapolis article, a woman named Tracy Carter called the number in order to assist a friend who was having suicidal thoughts. 

Mental Health Tips

• Talk about your feelings
  • Take breaks
  • Do something you enjoy
  • Track gratitude and accomplishments in a journal
  • Show love to someone important in your life

All information is according to Mental Health America

Carter said, “I was expecting someone to pick up the phone right away but that didn’t happen…we were on at least a 20-minute hold!” 

This is not a rare occasion, a Loretto student said, “ We texted the crisis counselor and the text didn’t go through and then we tried through other phones and it still didn’t go through.” 

The world has realized mental health has a major role in society, but they aren’t prepared for it. 

Over the pandemic, 47 percent of adults reported negative mental health which is much higher than pre-pandemic statistics.

According to the WHO (World Health Organization), there has been a 13 percent increase in mental health conditions worldwide. 

The WHO also stated that there has been a 20 percent increase in mental health ailments in children and adolescents, with suicide being the second most common cause of death.