Blood Drive to Save Lives

Photo Courtesy of Anaissa Rodriguez

Student volunteers at the blood drive event held by Loretto Academy and Vitalant. The event was extremely successful. Left to right: Celeste Hirschi, Giselle Yoshimoto, Anamarie Cordova, Valencia Rivera-Quevedo, and Anaissa Rodriguez.

Arissa Ramirez, Reporter

Vitalant is a non-profit organization that exists to help people realize their life-transforming potential by offering convenient blood donation opportunities and sharing their expertise in transfusion medicine.

According to Vitalant, “Since the beginning of the pandemic, 1,400 blood drives canceled resulting in a projected 361,000 donations going uncollected.” 

However, Loretto Academy still managed to help and sponsored a blood drive with the help of Vitalant. 

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021, Loretto Academy held a blood drive at Bassett Place Mall from 9 am to 8 pm. 

Walk-in donors were accepted, while others had their appointments scheduled. 

The event was very successful with the help of on-site student volunteers, seniors Anaissa Rodriguez, Celeste Hirschi, Giselle Yoshimoto, Anamarie Cordova, Valencia Rivera-Quevedo, and juniors Aurorasofia Zepeda and Lara Enriquez.

Volunteer Anaissa Rodriguez said, “I really enjoyed how the whole community of Loretto Academy and El Paso came together to help out the people in need of blood. Throughout this pandemic, it was more important than ever, and with this drive, it showed how all of us care for one another.”

There were over 120 participants that gave blood at the event, helping and potentially saving many lives, especially during the pandemic.