Run like nun other

Photo courtesy of Anacristina Villegas.

A group of Loretto students smile big for a photo before the race begins. This picture is from 2019’s Nun Run held on a cloudy Saturday morning.

Natalia Valenzuela, Reporter

The Nun Run is a tradition that brings the Loretto community together in an active way!

The purpose of the Nun Run is to raise money for the nuns in our sister school in Pakistan. 

It is a large marathon that takes place every year during the month of February on Loretto’s campus.

The race is hosted and organized by the senior class and their sponsors.  

People are given the choice to participate in the race and compete for medals or walk with friends or family at their own pace.  

This school year, due to COVID-19 gathering restrictions, the Nun Run will be held online. 

Senior head sponsor, Ms. Franco said, “As of now there is no set plan for the Nun Run, all I can say is it will be held virtually and I am doing the best I can to put something together.” 

In past years, it was amazing to see all the people that attended the run, from the faculty, staff, students, and their families, including Loretto supporters. 

Loretto alumni Jessica Garcia said, “The Nun Run is one of my favorite Loretto memories, especially during my senior year.”

“I had such a fun time walking with my friends and dog, Chula.” 

This event is not only for the Loretto community but for anyone who wishes to attend.

Preparing for the Nun Run is thrilling since all classifications become competitive and push one another to turn in Nun Run forms for the occasion in hopes of winning a Nun Run tee-shirt in their grades given color. 

Senior Mariana De La Rocha said, “I cannot remember if it was my freshman or sophomore year or maybe both, but Mrs. Kimpell, Ms. Franco, Ms. Ray,  and Mrs. Pasaret were all  so competitive!”

“During classes or in the hallways, they would say that they and their class would win the tee-shirt prize.”

“It was so funny and it made me want my class to win more, plus got me excited to see the results!” 

Though this year’s Nun Run will not be the same, the efforts for making it eventful and exciting are high for the student body!