Athlete of the Month: Saralie Buendia

The+team+takes+a+group+picture+after+one+of+their+games+with+big+smiles+under+their+masks.+Buendia+reminds+us+that+teamwork+is+very+important+and+anything+is+possible+with+a+good+support+system.+

Photo courtesy of Saralie Buendia

The team takes a group picture after one of their games with big smiles under their masks. Buendia reminds us that teamwork is very important and anything is possible with a good support system.

Natalia Valenzuela, Reporter

The Loretto’s softball team started their season at the end of January and as it continues, the team is led by senior, Saralie Buendia. 

Saralie was chosen as athlete of the month by her coach, Christian Herrera. 

“She comes to all our practices and games with a lot of enthusiasm and a smile on her face.  As one of my top players, she is a necessity on the field,” said Herrera. 

Saralie plays catcher, she is the eyes and ears of the team because she can see and hear everything on the field. 

Along with the catcher, Buendia is also the lead-off hitter, which is the team’s first hitter and helper to get to first base. 

She has been playing softball for Loretto since her freshman year and has enjoyed her time on the team. 

Teammate, Breeana Aguilar said “Saralie has been a great friend to me ever since I transferred to Loretto my junior year. She is a great player on the field and a great person off the field. She pushed me to be the best player I can be and motivates me to work harder at practice and games.” 

“I am extremely grateful I got to see my friends and continued my last year of playing even though it was different, the season so far has been memorable, and cannot wait to see what the next few games have in store.” said, Saralie. 

Buendia was very happy she got the opportunity to play this season and though COVID-19’s precautions and restrictions did not make playing the game she loves any easier she worked her way through it with the help of her teammates.