Meet the coach: track & field

Coach Montez (far right) with some of their runners. Coach Montez has built the Loretto track team into a respected program.

Photo courtesy of Maria Hobbs.

Celeste Hirschi, Sports Editor

Loretto track and field has been a long-celebrated sport and has wonderful coaches to support the athletes. 

Coach Raymond Montez began coaching for Loretto in 2008, shortly after his daughter had graduated from Loretto.

Montez said, “I started coaching as a way to give back to the community and to develop the running program at Loretto

by introducing the sport to individuals who hadn’t previously participated in the sport.”

During Montez’s 12 years coaching the Loretto Track and Field team, he has developed the team into a respected program throughout the city.

Montez said, “My coaching style has developed throughout the years and I consider it a blend of styles I observed and read about. However, I tend to lean toward positive reinforcement and fatherly. I routinely refer to the girls as my daughters, and I’m equally proud of their accomplishment on and off the track.”

Loretto senior runner, Maria Hobbs, said, “Coach Montez is an amazing coach and always finds a way to motivate us to do better.”

Junior runner, Mariah Martinez said, “I had never run cross country or track before freshman year. Coach [Montez] was very open to coaching anybody. He is very encouraging and overtime he pushes us to our full potential. I didn’t expect to run as well as I have and he’s challenged me with running longer distances. He is an amazing coach along with an amazing role model.”

Coach Montez is a wonderful member of the Loretto community and provides guidance for our runners.