Senior’s thoughts on loretto’s response to COVID-19

The photo represents a pink and healthy brain. As the students continue to grow, their brains need rest and need to be cared for.

Photo courtesy of medicalnewstoday.com.

Natalia Valenzuela, reporter

Though this school year is not what the senior class had in mind and as COVID-19 is still present in the United States, the seniors have missed out on many Loretto traditions that they have looked forward to since freshman year.

Senior Anamarie Cordova, along with a fellow classmate wrote a letter to the administration on January 4, 2021, discussing the removal of half days, mental health drainage, and how hard it has been to have a senior year full of online assignments and stress. 

“The purpose of this letter was to notify and make noticeable the poor mental health attention given to students last semester. We wrote this in hopes that someone would listen to our thoughts on how Christmas break made us realize that school has taken over our brains. The letter was written in a formal manner and in no way did we mean to offend anyone, however, it was upsetting to hear that faculty took it another way. Due to the lack of feedback, the leadership team and I have spoken to teachers and Ms. Martinez about the same matter, trusting that things will change for the spring semester.” said Anamarie Cordova. 

As the girls continue to search for change, they still attend three to four 90-minute classes per day, complete their homework, and take part in activities inside and outside of school. 

Senior, Orlyana Tantchou said “I was really proud of the letter the seniors sent and of our class for shedding light on this important topic. Mental health should always be the first priority. With this pandemic, many people’s mental health has gone down including my own. I think the best way to fix this is to allow breaks in school so students can rest and take time for themselves. This letter worded what I was feeling perfectly and I’m glad that the seniors are doing their best to protect the mental health of all the students at Loretto.”

The class of 2021 did approve this letter but it was not only meant for them, it applies to all grade levels.

“The Loretto administration was saddened to receive such a serious and strongly worded letter. We are doing the best we can to keep in mind the students and their needs during this pandemic. All the faculty and staff, including myself, are seeking new opportunities and experiences for the girls with a positive mindset for the upcoming semester.” said, Principle Mr. Silva.  

As the school year continues, the mental health of students will hopefully be taken into account and the Loretto community will proceed to grow and move forward to complete another year through “the magic of learning”.