Loretto basketball season fouls out

Photo Courtesy of Angela Glover

The Loretto Gym is empty, as students are subject to online school. The Loretto Basketball team will not have a season this year due to the pandemic.

Celeste Hirschi, Sports Editor

Loretto Academy basketball team has been a staple for as long as many of us can remember, however, the 2020-2021 season looks like it is not going to happen.

Going into the season there were already changes in place. 

Loretto athletic director Angela Glover said, “The season was cut in half because of the schools starting the season late. Even if we did play it would have been only 5 or 6 games compared to the 13 I had scheduled…”

However, the Loretto Angels have decided to not have a 2020-2021 basketball season.

Glover said, “Many parents chose not to let their daughters play because of the rising numbers of COVID cases and their safety.”

Due to many girls sitting out the season, there were few left who could still play. 

Unfortunately, there are not enough of them to front a team this season.

The Loretto athletes were certainly upset by the fact that they couldn’t participate in their sport.

Senior basketball player, Amaryia Atkins said, “When I found out Loretto Academy wasn’t having a season I was instantly heartbroken. I just kept thinking about how basketball was my way of letting out all my collected stress and irritation.”

Junior Marissa Garcia said, “Honestly it really sucks how we can’t see our friends. I looked forward to seeing my team and practicing but because of the circumstances I understand why there can’t be a session all I can do is hope to have one next year.”

The Loretto basketball players mourn their season but are hopeful to be able to play again next year.