Holocaust studies new class at Loretto

Photo Courtesy of Mrs. Lockhart-Walker

Smiling after a long hour of learning, the Holocaust studies class poses for a picture. Students both seniors and juniors makeup this innovative course.

Cristina Robles, Loretto News Editor

As the new year rolled around so did new curriculum for Loretto students, this year Holocaust studies taught by Mrs. Lockhart-Walker, a subject that explores the Holocaust through projects, discussions, and books, was added. 

As Loretto moved to online learning our regular schedule was switched to block schedule, so more classes were needed. 

Mrs. Lockhart loved the idea of adding a class dedicated to learning more in-depth about the Holocaust. 

The students who are taking Holocaust studies become more familiar with survivor’s stories and read the memori Night  by Eli Wiesel that entails his story and experience at Auschwitz.  

Now out of all the other classes that could be added to the curriculum why is Holocaust studies essential to the student’s  learning?

Senior Analia Cortez said, “This class is essential because it’s a part of history that people are forgetting or some people aren’t even learning about it, yet it really is one of the most outraging and heartbreaking things to have happened in history so, it’s important that we have a better understanding of what happened and not just let it fade away.”  

While Holocaust studies is essential in reminding the younger generations what happened, it is also key in the way students learn to make good and kind choices. 

Mrs. Lockhart said, “Through these studies, it’s important to learn from them in order to shape the choices we make in our own lives–fine-tuning empathy, compassion, civility are vital to being productive citizens”. 

Holocaust studies is a very informative class that will contain sensitive material nonetheless, Mrs. Lockhart does an amazing job in covering the more delicate subjects. 

Senior Anamarie Cordova said, “I love how Mrs. Lockhart stretches out the sensitive material for example the book we are reading, Night,  she is giving us 20 pages at a time and we debrief in class so that helps digesting the information.”

Holocaust studies is a new class that will help enrich and foster the minds of Loretto students.