Angels Helping El Paso

Loretto angel, Victoria Chiu’s letter that she donated to the Great Khalid Foundation. She shared a funny joke to brighten someones day.

Photo courtsey of Victoria Chiu

Loretto angel, Victoria Chiu’s letter that she donated to the Great Khalid Foundation. She shared a funny joke to brighten someone’s day.

Arissa Ramirez, Class Sections Reporter

Service-learning at Loretto Academy has always been a staple in the student’s academic and personal lives.

This year’s service-learning looks a bit different for the Loretto community. 

Loretto students have had to conform to the new way of helping out their community in their last year.

This year, the first project they were given was to help the El Paso Great Khalid Foundation. 

According to their website, the foundation is “committed to impacting the lives of children by alleviating a burden of need.”

The freshmen, sophomores, and seniors were asked to donate a box of cereal, a box of spaghetti noodles, and a jar of spaghetti sauce in order to help the foundation and families in need.

Seniors and juniors were asked to write three heartfelt Thanksgiving cards to put into the boxes full of the donated items. 

Junior class president, Aurora Zepeda said, “It’s important to remember that you can give and help in many ways and forms, and it should be done with a happy heart.

I am thankful that we were able to help others and make a difference.”

The students were able to safely drop off items in bins in the front of the dance studio from Friday, November 13, to Wednesday, November 18.

Some angels felt a sense of happiness and fullness when donating during these turbulent times.

Senior, Mariacatalina Villarreal said, “I felt happy knowing that we recognized the need in our society and are giving back to those who are not as fortunate as we are.”

The Loretto community will continue to help those who are in need, especially in the circumstance that the world is in today.