Secrets behind Loretto sports

Senior manager AnaMarie Cordova getting ready to serve the ball. The varsity team awarded her with a jersey and let her play during senior night.

Photo Courtesy of Ana Marie Cordova

Celeste Hirschi, Sports Editor

On the outside Loretto sports appear to be all fun and games, but in reality it is a lot of hard work.

Wearing a jersey doesn’t define who is a member of the team, there are many things that go on behind  the  scenes that contribute to the success of Loretto sports teams. 

The volleyball, basketball, and softball teams all have the honor of having a manager; they help both the coach and girls during practices and games. 

The managers do important tasks that alternatively the coaches and players would have to do; their main goal is to allow the players and coaches to focus on training and the games. 

Ex-manager from the class of 2020, Alejandra Urbina, said, “I feel like being a manager taught me how to keep organized and pay attention to detail especially on the court.”

Senior basketball and volleyball player, Kimberly Castillo, said “She [the manager] is there to help the team run more smoothly.”

Having managers allows students who cannot pursue their own sports careers due to injury or other issues to still be active in the sports community. 

One of the major jobs of the managers is to be in charge of “the book”; this includes taking down the statistics of each individual player.

These statistics can range from how many touches, aces, and points in volleyball, hits, outs, and homeruns in softball, and points, fouls, and assists in basketball.

Without these vital statistics the coaches wouldn’t be able to effectively train their players and improve their strategies for the next game.

Ex-manager from the class of 2020, Ashley Leyva, said, “I loved being a manager, it taught me how to manage my time between that and school.”

AnaMarie Cordova, senior at Loretto Academy, has been a manager since deciding not to play volleyball herself as a freshman. 

Due to COVID-19 Cordova is the sole manager for the 2020-2021 sport seasons; however, in past seasons, the managers would split the jobs accordingly.

Cordova said, “It meant being an hour early, getting to practices and every game, helping prepare the gym, pay attention to small details and staying alert always.” 

For the senior volleyball game, the varsity team awarded AnaMarie with a jersey and the opportunity to play with the girls. 

Alejandra Urbina said, “I think my favorite thing about being a manager was to be able to be a “part of the team” without having to participate in the sport itself.”

No matter what their title is, sports managers are an important part of the team. 

Basketball and volleyball player, Giselle Yoshimoto said, “I’m grateful for them because they help the team stay organized and practice running more efficiently.” 

The players put their blood, sweat and tears  into the games, but the managers are the superheroes behind the scenes. 

Without the managers Loretto Sports would be drastically different and not as smooth sailing as it appears to the outsider.