Decade’s accomplishments from Loretto’s alumni

Estefania Seyffert, now an anchor and producer for KTSM. She was a student writer and editor for Loretto News in The Prax. Photo courtesy of KTSM.

Iliana Moreno, Loretto News Editor

The past decade brought a lot of accomplishments for the Loretto student body, but they often forget about the accomplishments of past alumni.

This past decade, Loretto Academy’s alumni have accomplished a lot, from becoming lawyers, becoming news broadcasters, to receiving masters and publishing books. 

Charlotte Schow, a sophomore said, “Seeing these accomplishments makes me feel proud to be a Loretto angel.”

In 2014, Loretto’s Pat Mora published her children’s book, I Pledge Allegiance, which portrays a Mexican great aunt trying to get her U.S. citizenship, and bonding over her learning experience with her niece.

In 2018, Maria Elena Giner, class of ’85, got accepted into the University of Texas at Austin for a PhD program in Public Policy.

In the same family, oldest daughter Cassandra Giner, class of ’15, received her bachelor’s degree in biology with a minor in Bioinformatics from Boston College in 2019.

Dr. Hillary Mendoza Vozza, class of ’90, received her PhD in curriculum and instruction, hoping to inspire and prepare future teachers for future generations.

From some of The Prax’s former staff, KVIA reporter and producer Brianna Chavez along with KTSM news anchor and executive producer Estefania Seyffert have made huge steps in their careers.

Chavez became a part of KTSM’s team in 2018, after completing an internship at the news station.

Seyffert received a Lone Star EMMA, Excellence in My Market Awards, for her reporting on “Stories from El Paso” in 2018. 

Amirah Kassem reached ultimate stardom in the baking world, opening a bakery in SoHo New York, baking cakes for high-profile celebrities, such as the Kardashians, releasing a cookbook, along with a collaboration with Williams Sonoma in 2019.

Her accomplishments in the last decade don’t stop there; Kassem was also featured on countless world-renowned magazines and newspapers and even guest-starring on Late Night with Seth Myers, and Netflix’s Sugar Rush, a baking competition. 

Several alumni have received their masters this decade, ranging from marketing to education to Speech language Pathology.

While some are furthering their education, some of Loretto’s past classmates have been working throughout El Paso’s community.

In 2018, class of ’03 Analisa Silverstein was elected as one of thirty council members on the UTEP Fan Council, improving the experience for UTEP Athletics fans. 

After twenty-three years of teaching at Loretto, Mrs. Graciela Fernandez, class of ‘84, left Loretto and became principal at St. Raphael’s Catholic School.

These are just some of the many successes of Loretto alumni, several more women have done a lot in the past decade. 

It is no understatement when it is said that Loretto girls have accomplished a lot – the years of hard work that past students have put into the school have surely paid off, building upon their futures and improving their communities as well.