Junior scholarships

Loretto Academy juniors class of 2020 were invited to participate in the National Hispanic Recognition Program. Captured from left to right: Adrienne Deslongchamps, Cristina Muñiz, Victoria Villarreal, and Melina Olivas. Photo courtesy of Loretto Academy Facebook.

Sofia Cadena, Class Sections Reporter

Several juniors excelled on the PSAT/NMSQT and placed amongst the top 2.5% Hispanic and Latino test takers in the region.

They have been invited to participiate in the National Hispanic Recognition Program, which can give the students various scholarships and funds for college applications.

These juniors include Cristina Muñiz, Victoria Villareal, Adrienne Deslongchamps, and Melina Olivas.

The girls felt skeptical about receiving such a high score in the PSAT/NMSQT test and couldn’t believe in their high rankings.

Cristina Muñiz said, “When I received the invitation I thought it was one of those phony ones but after Ms. Johns explained it to me I felt surprised and happy.”

Good preparation for the test was crucial and their hard work and dedication was shown.

Victoria Villareal said, “I studied really hard and prepared since the summer.

It was my goal to receive this invitation and after I felt like my studying had paid off.”

Their hard work and dedication during the school year helped the girls improve their scores.

Adrienne Deslongchamps said, “I felt prepared during class. I was pretty surprised because I thought I had done really bad. I felt proud of myself for accomplishing so much.”

This accomplishment makes the Loretto community extremely proud and it demonstrates the dedication that Loretto students have towards their academics.