Athlete of the month: Mariah Martinez

Sofia Cadena, Sports Reporter

Meet freshmen Mariah Martinez, who participates in Loretto Academy’s Varsity Cross Country, Freshmen Basketball team, and JV Track teams.

Being her first year in high school, Martinez is beyond excited to continue to participate in sports.

She has definitely proven herself to be a great athlete and has moved up the ladder to participate in JV sports rather than the traditional freshmen classification.

Mariah said, “I feel proud and accomplished for being in the JV team even though it may be though to compete with faster people.”

She has been an athlete for almost her entire life, and recalls early memories of being an active sports member since elementary school.  

Her favorite thing about playing sports is having fun and clearing her mind after a busy school day.

Being an athlete has allowed Martinez to make many fun and loving memories and it allows her to share them with the rest of her team.

“My favorite memory is going to state, seeing all of the competition and different views and environmental experiences that new locations bring us,” said Mariah

Mariah continues to be motivated throughout the different sports that she participated in by hoping to make it to state and being the best that she can be.