Meet the captains: Loretto basketball  

Sofia Cadena, Sports Reporter

A captain needs to be optimistic, responsible, motivational, and a great leader.

The following girls have these characteristics and more, which allowed for them to be chosen by their coaches to lead their teams.

Leading the Loretto Varsity basketball team this season are senior captains Danni Garcia and Xzandra Fo.

They believed they were made captains because of their leadership skills and experience.

Danni Garcia said, “Since we’ve been playing basketball since freshmen year, we are more experienced so we can lead the girls throughout this season.”  

A captain must be vocal and say something when no one else wants to, they cannot be afraid to step up their game.

Xzandra Fo said, “I’m very loud and not afraid to call you out.”

These qualities set the girls out to be good captains and lead the team to a victory during the season.

Together the girls have taken what they have learned from different captains over the years and have made it their own.

They have looked up to previous captains for inspiration since they began playing basketball at Loretto freshmen year.

Motivation is also a really big part of the what the captains try to implement for the rest of the team.

“It’s life, we all mess up but as long as you bounce back,” said Xzandra.

The girls in charge of leading the JV basketball team are sophomores Giselle Yoshimoto and Saralie Buendia.

Saralie Buendia said, “To me being a captain means that I am responsible for how we act on and off the court.

It means being there for my team in sports and in every other point where I’m with them.”

A captain should look out for their team and motivate them to try their best.

Giselle Yoshimoto said, “Being a captain means being a lead for the team.

I always try to have my team’s back.”

The girls view the opportunity of being captains for the JV basketball team a great learning experience for the future.

Junior Varsity captains Giselle Yoshi (left) and Saralie Buendia (right).
(Photo courtesy: Saralie Buendia)
Captain Danni Garcia against Americas High School.
(Photo courtesy: Kathryn Brandon)

They make sure to motivate the team but also motivate themselves in order to do good inside and outside the court.

Varsity captain Xzandra Fo dribbles down the court to score.
(Photo courtesy: Kathryn Brandon)

Together the girls face their biggest conflict: negativity and try to fight it as a team.

Giselle said, “I have to remind myself that we can do it no matter who or what we’re against.”

Leading the freshmen team is Angela Carrera, she believes that any good leader should be responsible, honest, patient, and brave.

She strives to be all of the following characteristic to be a good captain and leader for the freshmen.  

Angela said, “Being captain is a privilege because I get to help and teach others doing what I love the most, basketball.”

She struggles with the challenges of facing responsibility and trying not to lose her patience, but she views this opportunity as a learning experience for that.

Angela said, “I’m learning how to take responsibility and not lose my patience during hard times.”

The captains are working hard for a successful season and look forward to their future games.

Freshman captin Angela Carrera
(Photo courtesy: Madelynne Sandoval)