Lighting up Loretto

Celia Escobar, Loretto News Editor

Loretto Academy High School has a long-standing tradition of lighting Luminarias in celebration of the Christmas Season.  

“Luminarias” are small, brown paper lanterns lit by candles and filled with rocks or sand to keep them grounded.   

Luminarias originated with Spaniard merchants who were impressed by the Chinese culture’s lanterns, and decided to make their own version of them back in New Spain; however they play a big role in Mexican tradition today.   

Millions of walls and sides of homes are lined with rows of luminarias across the US and Mexico every year.

As for Loretto’s values, the Roman Catholic religion believes that the lights will guide Christ’s spirit into their home, which is the reason for elaborate designs made by the luminarias.

Every year after students are released for Christmas break, each classification comes back to Loretto throughout the week to do their part for the Luminarias.

The Seniors and freshmen are in charge of setting up the Luminarias around the Loretto driveway and up to the chapel on December 23rd.

This event is meant to be a bonding experience for the little and big sisters, while getting into the Christmas spirit at the same time.

The Junior class lights up the candles on Christmas Eve, and the Sophomores clean up on December 26th.

Although many girls and much of the administration are familiar with this tradition, some students are completely new to it.

Freshman Sophia Chabre said, “My thought is that all the students gather and set up all the luminarias around the school, then when the time comes we light them up and enjoy the lights!

I’m excited to know that we can all come together and participate in a school tradition”.

This year, like all previous years, the Luminarias are to be a great success- come see them light up on Christmas Eve!