Loretto is in good hands

Photo courtesy of Loretto Academy Facebook

Sofia Cortez, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Loretto Academy High School and Middle School principal, Mr. Homero Silva, was recently diagnosed with cancer which was discovered when he had an x-ray taken when he went to get his wisdom teeth taken out.

The unfortunate news took the faculty and students by shock and resulted in many prayers and card making.

Fortunately, his diagnosis is treatable and will not keep him from school too long.
He went through an extensively long surgery to remove the cancer and has recently been released home.

Although he is done with his surgery and is now in the comfort of his home, he still needs to go through therapy.

He is expected to make a strong recovery and come back to school in January.
During his absence Loretto High School and Middle School will be guided by Mrs. Fernandez, the Dean of Students.

She is adapting to the new work she is in charge of and is very busy.
Mrs. Fernandez said, “The only difficult thing about taking over the principal’s responsibilities has been time because I am still teaching a few classes.

Besides that, I have enjoyed seeing everyone come together as the community we are in support for carrying out the schools responsibilities.”
Her work is not going unnoticed for many students are realizing her commitment and amount of responsibility.

“She cares about all of us and wants to do what is best for us, I think she is a good person to substitute for Mr. Silva” said sophomore Saralie Buendia.

Although the school misses Mr. Silva greatly, they know they are in good hands with Mrs. Fernandez leading and overseeing the community.