Athlete of the Month: Clarissa Ruiz

Clarissa Ruiz has received many honors and recognitions throughout her high school track career. Ruiz made history at Loretto as she set a new record for the 100 and 200-meter events. Photo courtesy of Clarissa Ruiz.

Orlyanka Tantchou, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The Loretto Track team has shown hard work and dedication, but there is one particular Angel who has earned her wings. 

The Track Athlete of the Month is Loretto junior, Clarissa Ruiz for her outstanding accomplishments on and off the field. 

After attending St. Joseph’s, Ruiz joined the Loretto family as a freshman, where she began running with the track team.

She developed a love for running at an early age and she knew she wanted to join her track team in high school.

Ruiz said, “When we would race in P.E., it was always assured that I would win even if it was against boys.

At first, I began running for fun but then I started to find my true potential.”

Her first year on the team was a different experience because she joined during the COVID pandemic.

Ruiz said, “ I enjoy track because it’s something I’m good at and it motivates me to keep getting better.

I see every meet as an opportunity to dop my times and it’s changed my lifestyle forcing me to keep myself at my healthiest and strongest.”

As Ruiz says goodbye to the seniors, she is excited to rise into that role and continue making memories with her team next year.

Ruiz has always been a team player and is loved by many of her teammates.

Loretto sophomore and track teammate, Melania Martinez said, “ I think her ability to model what a strong runner is makes her a great asset to our team.

She has great form and has grown so much physically and mentally.”

Ruiz said, “The best part of the team is the friendships that I have made.

They’ve cheered me up on my toughest days and given me advice when I needed them the most.

I was very timid when the season began and two seniors, Josephine Kelly and Jocelyn Valdez helped me get out of my shell, so saying goodbye to them will be bittersweet.”

Ruiz competes in the 100m, 200m, 4×1 relay, and 4×2 relay events.

She set multiple records for Loretto this year as she ran her 100 m race in 12.7 seconds and ran the 200m race in 26.6 seconds.

Ruiz will continue to exemplify the core values to her her teammates by competing with the track team during her senior year.