Loretto’s tennis team: in it to win it

The tennis girls represent Loretto in matching sweatshirts as they prepare for a match. Pictured from left to right: Lillian Fernandez, Roberta Gonzalez, Grecia Mares, Emma Isaac, and Georgina Ramirez. Photo courtesy of Roberta Gonzalez

Ava Bonilla, Loretto News Editor

Loretto’s tennis team has kicked off its 2023 spring season with 10 members.

Each week, the team participates in either a match against other schools or a tournament.

Currently, the team plays in tournaments that last all day and continue onto the next day.

Senior Georgina Ramirez said, “My favorite part of the matches is how fun they are, and we get to meet a lot of new people from different teams.”

The girls practice every day in the mornings before school and even have to miss classes on Fridays to attend tournaments.

Sophomore Roberta Gonzalez said, “I really enjoy playing tennis at Loretto; it shows me how to be a good teammate and show good sportsmanship.

I enjoy going to the matches and being able to interact with other schools, but the hardest part of playing is Coach Sergio because he pushes us to our greatest potential.”

The team represents the value of commitment by participating in weekly matches and sacrificing class time to bring victories to Loretto tennis.

Athletic Director Angela Glover said, “They’re excellent tennis players; they can go all the way if they put their heart and soul into it because they’ve done it before.

With their talent, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t win.”

The Prax staff wishes the team good luck and many wins as the tennis season continues!