Honoring Loretto’s athletes

Lorettos+junior+varsity+volleyball+players+receive+awards+at+the+Sports+Banquet.+The+event+was+held+in+Lorettos+cafeteria.+Photo+courtesy+of+Ms.+Martinez+

Loretto’s junior varsity volleyball players receive awards at the Sports Banquet. The event was held in Loretto’s cafeteria. Photo courtesy of Ms. Martinez

Ava Bonilla, Loretto News Editor

One of the many Loretto traditions is the annual Sports Banquet, which took place on Nov. 29, 2022. 

The event is coordinated by Athletic Director Angela Glover and girls from Loretto’s Athletic Association (LAA).

The purpose of the Sports Banquet is to award and honor the athletes of each team by giving recognition to their most outstanding players. 

Some of the awards included: “Offensive Player” to junior Dariela Abbud and junior Valeria Portillo, “Defensive Player” to senior Paula Lechuga, “Strong Arm Award” to senior Regina Leyva, and “Most Improved” to freshman Ava Munoz.

Senior Regina Beltran won the award for “Most Valuable Player.”

She said, “It was sad thinking that I would never play volleyball with my friends again.

However, I’m forever grateful to have had this opportunity these past four years.”

It was an especially memorable and emotional night for the seniors because it was their last time being surrounded by their teams. 

Senior Renata Munoz said, “It was sad knowing that it was my final banquet with my best friends and I will now be letting go of my lifelong sport that I love very much.”

At the end of the night, the seniors received four yellow roses to symbolize the four years that they had committed to the Loretto athletic teams. 

Loretto’s athletic legacy will live on in the many years to come because of the dedication and hard work that these girls have shown.