Cross-country season done, on to next season!

Loretto’s cross country team poses for a picture at a meet. Pictured are: seniors Astryd Payne and Faith Tolentino; sophomores Isabella Hallal, Mia Moreno, and Grace Tolentino; and freshman Iskra Salas. Photo courtesy of Joe Ramirez

Zuleika Botello, Staff Reporter

This year, Loretto Academy’s athletes practiced long and hard for the 2022-2023 cross-country season.

The girls had been practicing since July and they had their first meet on August 12.

Coach Joe Ramirez and Assistant Coach, Moriah Kelly, trained eight girls to be able to compete in a total of eight meets.

Kelly, a Loretto alumna, was also on the cross-country and track team.

Ramirez said, “This year we had a small team of like eight girls but only had like five to six girls compete every week.

We had eight meets in El Paso and didn’t win any meets, but the girls did improve their times throughout the season.

We had a young team this year, two seniors only, but they learned a lot.”

This year, no girls went to state due to their small team and time requirements, but they improved their running times which both coaches are very proud of.

Loretto freshman Iskra Salas said, “While you’re running it hurts a lot and you want to stop but the girl in front of you stops and you beat her, you feel so good.”

Although the season ended on October 1, the girls are already working for the next season!