NHS wants your blood

Posters were hung up around Loretto Academy to inform students about the upcoming blood drive. All students over the age of 16 were encouraged to register. Photo courtesy of Ava Bonilla

Ava Bonilla, Loretto News Editor

Vampires aren’t real and won’t take your blood, but Loretto Academy’s National Honor Society (NHS) will.

This year, on October 27 from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Vitalant and NHS are working together to host the annual blood drive. 

According to American Red Cross, only 3% of the entire nation donates and the blood supply is one of the most crucial necessities within a hospital.

NHS sponsor Helen Martinez said, “The NHS takes it upon itself to coordinate the blood drive because it’s one of our main community outreach projects and has been for at least 20 years.”

Each member of the NHS was required to register at least five donors by October 17 in order to get the word out. 

President of NHS Anette Valdes said, “Collecting blood is challenging as people might be afraid, unknowing, or simply unwilling to take time out of their day.

However, I’ve taken several steps to push people to such a gracious stance, such as via heartfelt messages, statistics of blood donations, and their impacts; and more.” 

The officers of NHS, consisting of the president, vice-president, secretary, and project manager have worked together every day in order to coordinate the event.

Martinez said, “Blood donations are always needed by hospitals, and care centers, and it is a way that our chapter supports our community in a vital manner.” 

For every 18 hospitals, 125 units of blood are needed.

In Florida, Hurricane Ian put a pause on the amount of blood donations that cities in Florida could collect and this damaged the overall blood supply throughout the US because instead of gaining blood, they lost numbers of donors to help those who needed blood donations from the impact of the hurricane. 

Vitalant representative Monique Hilverding said, “By donating, you are potentially keeping somebody’s family together and saving someone’s life.”

Out of all projects done by the National Honor Society at Loretto, the blood drive is by far the most important. 

The blood drive demonstrates the values of compassion, generosity, and community.

All who meet the eligibility criteria are urged to donate because those people have the power to save a life.

One act can change someone’s life forever and the blood drive captures what it means to act as a Loretto Angel.