Forever angels; farewell Class of 2022

Several seniors (from left to right: Sofia Sapien, Monserrat Anaya, Paulina Bermudez, Sofia Gonzalez, Natalia Caro, Valentina Peraza, and Mariana Chacon) are shown after their graduation ceremony at the Abraham Chavez Theater in El Paso, Texas on Sunday May 16, 2022. They proudly show their diplomas and many are dressed with awards that recognize their hard work and merrit. Photo courtesy of Patricia Fernandez

Anabella Aguilar, Staff Reporter

2022; a return from the pandemic, a year that went by in the blink of an eye.

Before it was even realized, the Senior Class of 2022 graduated May 16, 2o22, and although it is very sad to see them go, thankfully, future success is coming their way. 

Graduation began the very busy weekend on Friday, May 13, 2022; 6:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m. mass at St. Thomas Aquinas, at 8:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m. were the family photos, followed by a dinner at Cibeles in Ciudad Juarez from 9:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m., and the graduation dance from 10:30 p.m.-2:00 a.m. 

This event-filled day was just the beginning as the actual ceremony was carried out on Sunday.

This ceremony consisted of the diploma delivery, final words from several students, and awards that recognized outstanding Loretto alumni.

Seniors closed out the year with a celebration that will be forever remembered because of the loving mark they left at our beloved school.

This year’s top 10% included Georgina Anchondo, Paula Cardenas, Elizabeth Gunnison, Ann Johny, Paula Sánchez, Sofia Sapien, Kianna Verdugo, and Aurora Zepeda.

These girls showed dedication during all their studies exemplifying the wonderful studies they were taught by our dedicated Loretto teachers.

Former Loretto Student Body President, Aurora Zepeda, said “Loretto has been my home for the past four years. 

Throughout my time at Loretto, I’ve learned to be resilient and never give up. 

Loretto has been a place where I feel I am able to be myself, and I feel encouraged and supported by my teachers and peers. 

Being valedictorian this year was an enormous honor I will remember for the rest of my life. 

Without the help of everyone at Loretto, I would not have been able to achieve this level of success.

Loretto has shaped me into the person I am today and I couldn’t be prouder.”

Zepeda was also recognized as the valedictorian for 2022 signifying her determination throughout her four years of high school to make it a very memorable senior year for her classmates, and her perseverance that will continue to lead her to success.

Ann Johny was gifted with the Praxedes Carty Award being recognized with the highest award one can receive at Loretto for her dedication, serenity, and amazing talents.

Sister Buffy gave a beautiful speech mentioning some of those talents including angelic singing in the show choir and magnificent dancing abilities.

Johny said, “I was honestly shocked when my name was called for the Mother Praxedes Carty Award, but I was genuinely really happy. 

I was honored that people saw me as someone who really embodied the Loretto values through my past four years at Loretto. 

Life presents both its challenges and opportunities, but throughout these years, I was able to learn and grow in many ways. 

I’m truly grateful to the Loretto community for presenting me with such a great honor.

I will continue to  cherish and practice the Loretto values as I go on to the next step in my journey.”

For their Senior Spotlight pages in the yearbook, several students listed some of the highlights describing the roller coaster these four years have been for them…

• Isabella Acosta: “Joyful, Challenging Irreplaceable”
  • Elisse Aguirre: “Stressful, Fun, New”
  • Montserrat Anaya: “Live, Love, Laugh”
  • Amia Barro: “Quick, Memorable, Stressful”
  • Paulina Bermudez: “Stressful, Sad, Intense”
  • Paula Cardenas: “Good Morning Loretto”
  • Cinthia Castorena: “Fun, Challenging, Unpredictable”

Only to name a few, the incredible journey they’ve encountered has been a memorable one.

Despite their sleepless nights or stressful days, the sisterhood can be sure to call Loretto their second home!

Mia Guerra said, “I’ve been attending Loretto since Pre-K so graduating now feels really scary because I’m basically leaving my second home.

However, I’m so grateful to be graduating from a school so close to my heart. 

I loved being at Loretto and the friendships and memories I made will stay with me forever. 

Senior year especially was such a great year for me because I feel like I bonded so much more with my classmates. 

I also feel like it was the most fun year for me because of all the events that really brought us together.

Everything our class went through together was so memorable and I’ll never forget the experiences I had this year. 

I’m sad to leave but I’m so glad I got to be a part of it all.”

The Loretto core values of faith, community, justice, and respect, that was instilled in the seniors will lead them to achieve any goal they set their minds to! 

They are a true inspiration for all the generations to come and they will form a part of Loretto til the end of time!

Farewell senior class of 2022, greatly missed but always remembered.