Thank you, goodbye journalism

Mia Quinones, Staff Reporter

Even though the school year is ending, I still can’t stop thinking about when the next assignment is due in Journalism I/II.

Every class was writing a due date of the next draft and finding ideas for the next issue of the Prax, but even with all of the homework, it was beneficial to me. 

The assignments included writing about serious world problems to expand our opinion using factual evidence and learning different types of writing such as editorials and opinion pages. 

The main type of writing that helped me out the most was writing the Prax articles. 

I learned how to research, where to find reliable news sources, and how to write straight to the point. 

Even though I wasn’t meant to be put in Journalism, I don’t regret changing my class because I know it improved my writing skills and research skills. 

Being in Journalism has also helped me stay up to date with the world news which is very important, especially with the current United States situation with protests, rights, and equality. 

What was most challenging to adjust to was the multiple homework assignments. 

Sometimes we had to write two to three Prax stories and write another article which was the in-class assignment. 

It was stressful work that took up hours of my time, but it has helped me develop better time management skills for homework. 

Journalism is a class that requires at least three hours of your time after school, but it’s a class that creates good habits and develops skills. 

I enjoyed the times we, as the students, would text the group chat with the same problem, usually about how to do the format or how long the assignment should be. 

To the editors, thank you for editing our work and returning it to us the next day; I know you would stay up for hours just trying to finish all of our stories. 

To Mrs. Lockhart, thank you for teaching me how to expand my writing skills and how to differentiate opinions from facts. 

I’ll never forget all the lessons I learned and the experience it gave me in writing.