Closing Loretto’s athletic season

(Top) Lorettos tennis team at the state tournament in Waco, Texas. (Bottom) Lorettos golf team at regionals in San Antonio. Many senior athletes are nearing the end of their athletic season and saying their goodbyes to their teammates, coaches and athletic director, Ms. Glover. Photo courtesy of Jayne Nowak and Mariana Castillo

(Top) Loretto’s tennis team at the state tournament in Waco, Texas. (Bottom) Loretto’s golf team at regionals in San Antonio. Many senior athletes are nearing the end of their athletic season and saying their goodbyes to their teammates, coaches and athletic director, Ms. Glover. Photo courtesy of Jayne Nowak and Mariana Castillo

Andrea Carranco, Staff Reporter

Spring sports such as track, golf, and tennis, began in the middle of January.

Each sport started off with a bang and is ending the same way.

Plenty of Loretto’s athletes participated in state meets and tournaments during the course of the spring semester. 

Track:

The Loretto track team had nine meets and is nearing the end of their season with Coach Montes and Coach Joe to train them.

The cross country and track team will be saying their goodbyes to one of their coaches this year, Coach Montes.

Freshman Isabella Hallal said, “I practiced my hardest during the last couple of practices and I have been controlling my mindset as I tackle negative thoughts while running.”

Hallal ran for the track and cross country team this year. 

Hallal came into the cross country and track season being a natural runner, shocking both her coaches and her teammates at every practice and meet. 

Golf:

The Loretto golf team came in 2nd place at their regional tournament and will finish off their season with a state tournament in San Antonio.

They played a total number of four matches and placed 1st in one match, 2nd in two, and 4th in one match.

Senior Gabriela Rangel said, “ I will remember the adrenaline I got from every tournament and how the pressure helped me to do my best and earn medals and place as a team.”

Rangel has been an active member of the Loretto golf team since her sophomore year.

She was an amazing asset to her team and never failed to perform her very best.

Rangel is an exemplary golfer and has helped her team place both regional and state this year.

Tennis:

The Loretto tennis team started their season off in August and ended in April with regionals and state meets to finish the season.

Freshman Ciana Chavez said, “ My goal for next year’s season is to beat Coronado and to grow closer with my teammates.”

They played ten matches and beat every school they competed against except for Coronado.

Junior Jayne Nowak said, “My goal for next year is to embody leadership and grace just as our current senior, Veronica Espino, had emulated as a senior.”

Nowak has been a member of this team since her freshman year and never fails to display how much talent she has.

This year she placed 2nd at regionals and state and is working towards placing 1st place next year.

Jayne is a perfect model of dedication and truly portrays the meaning of hard work.

As each athlete comes to the end of their season, many teams are also saying goodbye to their seniors.

Each of these athletes has dedicated hard work and determination not only to their academics but to their sport.

Loretto can’t wait to see what these students have in store for the years to come.

Go Angels!