Loretto Academy names new president

Nicole Cobb is selected to be the next President of Loretto Academy. Cobb will begin her position on May 2, 2022. Photo courtesy of Loretto Academy

On April 12, Sister “Buffy” Boesen announced Nicole Cobb as the next President of Loretto Academy. 

In October 2021, Sister Buffy informed the Loretto community that she would be retiring after 21 years of service.

Although she is retiring, Sister Buffy said, “I will work with Nicole to ensure a smooth transition and will assume the position of Advisor to the President for one year.”

Approaching the centennial anniversary of Loretto’s establishment in 1923, the Loretto community is ready to welcome Cobb as the academy’s fifth President.

About President Cobb

After graduating from Loretto Academy in 2002, Cobb attended Harvard University, where she earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Chemistry with a Foreign Language Citation in Spanish.

Additionally, she earned a Master of Science Degree in Biochemistry and a Master of Arts Degree in Education from Stanford University. 

Cobb began her teaching career at El Paso Community College before returning to Loretto as a science teacher in 2016. 

At Loretto, she created the WISE Festival, which stands for Women in Science and Engineering. 

WISE participants researched different topics and developed their concepts to present to Loretto students and teachers. 

As a result of her positive influence on the Loretto community, Cobb received the Loretto Teacher of the Year award in 2018. 

Outside of the classroom, Cobb co-founded El Jardin Birth and Family Resource Center, a nonprofit organization, in 2013. 

In 2019, Cobb directed Birth in Pieces, an award-winning documentary about modern birth culture. 

Cobb was also selected to be a panelist for TEDx El Paso’s Bold + Brilliant TED Women Conference in 2019. 

As Loretto’s President, Cobb is looking forward to fulfilling Loretto’s four core values: Faith, Community, Justice, and Respect. 

Q & A

• What would you change from your days as a student at Loretto?

In general, I had a wonderful experience as a student at Loretto.  This place felt like my home because of very caring, dedicated teachers.  The school opened many doors for me, and I look forward to working closely with the faculty and staff so that we can ensure that current and future students also feel the same.

• What was your favorite Loretto tradition to participate in?

I loved the senior retreat because of how it brought our class closer together.

• What is your favorite Loretto memory?

I have so many fond memories, but all my favorites include hanging out and just being silly with friends.

• What was your favorite year of high school, and why?

There were great moments and challenges specific to each year.  My favorite was probably senior year though because my sister was a fresh(wo)man that year, and it was fun to overlap with her.  Plus, once the college application process was over, I felt so relieved!  (My husband is also going to insist that senior year was the best because that’s when we first met.)

• What goals are you looking to accomplish in your first year as President?

I look forward to building a campus ministry program this first year that will help to deeply root our students in the core values each day.

• What will your first action as President be?

My first actions will be focused on listening.  I’m working on surveys for various groups right now… stay tuned!

• Do you think student recognition is important?

I think recognition and acknowledgment is important at all levels.  When we work hard and do things well, we all like to be recognized.  It is good for the individual and the community to celebrate the good deeds and hard work of everyone.

• How are teachers evaluated? Should surveys be sent out to parents?

Principals oversee teacher evaluations, and I look forward to learning more from my leadership team.  When I was a teacher, I surveyed students at the end of semesters.  It was helpful to me to see which projects/major assignments students enjoyed and felt that they learned from the most.  Student feedback also helped me to identify the weaker parts of my curriculum and focus on finding better ways to engage students in that content.

• Is there anything you would implement to assist students in achieving positive mental health?

Yes, again, I want to better understand what is currently available and what else may be needed.  I know that COVID presented lots of challenges to everyone, including parents, teachers, admin, and students.

• What is your view on homework?

As a teacher, I tried my best to assign homework when it was meaningful and not for the sake of busywork.  I think what that looks like will depend upon the subject.

• How will you continue the legacy of STEM at Loretto that you initiated with the WISE Festival?

STEM education holds a special place in my heart.  I look forward to working with the faculty and staff to ensure that students have innovative opportunities to explore STEM as well as other subjects that hold a special place in their hearts.

• How do you plan on transitioning the school in the upcoming school year in terms of COVID restrictions?

I plan on working closely with the Board of Trustees, just as Sister Buffy has done, to monitor the COVID situation.  I am hopeful that with vaccines and new antivirals, COVID is something that can be managed much better on a societal level.  Let’s keep praying on this!

Nicole Cobb has a deep-rooted past with Loretto and wishes to continue giving back with her new position.

She will assume the position of president on May 2, 2022, beginning a new Loretto Era.

As Loretto looks to the future, the community can rest assured that Nicole Cobb will work hard as president to continue the tradition of excellence.