NCAA March Madness basketball tournament

March Madness begins on Tuesday, March 14, 2023. The tournament will end with the championship game on April 3, 2023. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Mia Quinones, Staff Reporter

March Madness, a college basketball tournament held by the National Collegiate Athletic Association, is an event where the top 68 teams compete for the national championship. 

The National Association of Basketball Coaches created the college tournament with the first-ever games being on March 17, 1939. 

The term March Madness came from Henry V. Porter when high school tournaments took place in March and usually sold out in college gyms. 

This event starts on Sunday, March 13, 2022, and ends on Monday, April 4, 2022, for both the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments. 

No information is currently available about what teams are playing in the NCAA bracket list. 

Looking back at past March Madness tournaments for men, UCLA has totaled eleven championships, Kentucky with eight, and North Carolina is third with six championships. 

Last year, the Baylor Bears won against the Gonzaga Bulldogs with a score of 86-70.

The Bears earned their first national championship title and became the second Texas team, behind UTEP, to win the NCAA tournament. 

In women’s basketball history, the UConn Huskies have totaled eleven championships. 

The Stanford Cardinal women’s basketball team won in 2021 against the Arizona Wildcats with a score of 54-53. 

Art and graphic design teacher Mr. Benero said, “I hope Tech wins.”

“They beat Baylor, so I hope they take the win. 83-73, whoop whoop!” 

Texas Tech Raiders have appeared in March Madness tournaments eighteen times, their most recent appearance being in 2021.