Last dance

The varsity girls celebrating Senior Night. This game brought a close to the seniors last home game as Loretto Angels Photo Courtesy: Luisa Aguilar

Kianna Verdugo, Staff Reporter

As the 2021-2022 basketball season comes to an end, the seniors of the class of 2022 celebrated their last home basketball game for Loretto Academy.

Senior Mariah Martinez said, “It was amazing to see my friends play for the last time, and I was happy to see how the team worked together.

It was one of the best seasons they have had yet.”

The Loretto Varsity Basketball Team consisted of Angela Carrera, Zuleika Botello, Elvira Aguilar, Luisa Aguilar, Monse Anaya, Marissa Garcia, Isabella Lozano, Midori Moreno and Kelsey Hermida.

Together with Coach Oscar, they practiced early in the mornings and practiced outside of school.

These class-athletes balanced academics, extracurricular activities, and athletics.

Luisa Aguilar said, “We had so much chemistry and had team bonding to keep us together.

We helped each other academically to be able to play and finish our season strong.”

In a total of fifteen games throughout the season, Loretto took most of the wins.

From private to public schools, the Loretto Angels played with respect and were kind to other teams.

They expressed the core values of community and respect both off and on the court.

Respect being vital both in and outside of class, the basketball team never complained nor took the loss too hard.

They worked hard to stay on the team and always practiced to learn from their mistakes.

They showed community by cheering each other on and never giving up on each other.

Junior Kelsey Hermida said, “It was a bittersweet moment having the seniors play their last game against Da Vinci.

I am so glad they finished their season winning, but I am sad that they are graduating this year.

They helped me in my studies and were truly inspirational and stellar players.”

Senior Marissa Garcia said, “After playing since middle school, it was sad to see the sport coming to an end.

Since I might not pursue it in college, I really made the most of my senior year with my teammates.”

On January 25, they had their Senior Night against Da Vinci and won forty-four to thirty-six.

After celebrating the win, underclassmen surprised the seniors with gifts and speeches on how much they will be missed.

Parents attended the game and cheered on their daughters.

They finished their high school journey on a high note.

Senior Midori Moreno said, “I am proud of my team and how we accomplished so much.

Loretto gave me plenty of friendships and memories thanks to the basketball team.

Loretto forever.”