Omicron’s effect on unvaccinated vs vaccinated

The delta variant has reached its peak, but now another new fast-flowing variant seems to be taking over the world. The symptoms for this new variant are mild and similar to a cold. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Andrea Carranco, Staff Reporter

The world was introduced to a new COVID-19 variant on November 24, 2021, known as Omicron. 

According to CNN, it was discovered by scientists in a testing lab in South Africa after they had found unusual features in numerous testing samples.

Once the scientists identified the variant, they began seeing a rise in Omicron cases across South Africa.

A couple of weeks after reaching other countries, the variant reached the United States.

The first breakout case in the US was identified in California.

According to the Director of Health for the city of San Francisco, Dr. Grant Colfax, the infected person had received two doses of the Moderna vaccine but had not reached the six-month mark after the second shot to receive a booster shot. 

Most of the people that have tested positive for COVID-19 are unvaccinated, which shows how much protection the vaccine provides.

“People are getting more lax of COVID-19 precautions, which, therefore, has caused the recent increase in COVID cases,” said Mia Moreno.

Yet many are still questioning the science behind it.

Dr. Anthony Fauci said that the Omicron variant will peak at the end of February.

In a press conference, Dr. Anthony Fauci said, “Things are looking good. 

We don’t want to get overconfident, but they look like they’re going in the right direction right now.”

He recommends that we all wear masks and follow the guidelines to preserve the safety of the future.

Loretto has done what it can to stop the spread of COVID-19 by installing temperature checkers and providing masks for students and staff members.

As COVID-19 cases increase, it is necessary to be cautious and proactive of surroundings by adhering to mask guidelines.