Christmas at Loretto

Junior homeroom representative, Marianna Benavides, decorating her homeroom door. The door was decorated as a reindeer with a scarf.

Anacamila Anaya, Staff Reporter

Christmas is just around the corner and Loretto Academy has many ways to celebrate it.

November 30, 2021, students got together to decorate their assigned doors. 

The themes this year were separated into four categories.

Seniors were Disney, juniors were Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, sophomores were The Grinch, and the freshmen were holiday movies.

The students gathered during long homeroom and perfected every detail of their door in hopes of winning the competition. 

Some girls brought goodies like pizza, cookies, chips, and more.

While decorating the doors a few students shared their favorite traditions they have at home.

Loretto sophomore, Daniela Dillon, said, “I like to be with my family. We all just hang out, eat a huge dinner, and open gifts on the 24th.”

Loretto freshman Mia Moreno said, “We just celebrate Jesus kind of like the Catholic Christmas like the nativity scene and give thanks to Christ.”

This was an eventful way to spend a Tuesday afternoon.

The winners for the deck and the doors competition have yet to be announced. 

Jingle Mingle: 

The last Jingle Mingle that was celebrated at Loretto Academy was back in November 2019.

The students sold cookies, peanut brittle, hot chocolate, cupcakes, croissants, and more.

Loretto’s band and choir performed Christmas songs to set the students in the holiday spirit. 

This year the 2021 Loretto’s Jingle Mingle will not be taking place due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Students were looking forward to the Christmas treats they offered.

Loretto junior Caitlin Mijares said,  “I very much enjoyed it when I went freshman year and all the goodies and stuff.”

Mijares then explained how freshman year was her first year experiencing it and how she missed sophomore year due to covid and online school.

Loretto senior, Danielle Leydon, said, “When I was a freshman at Jingle Mingle I performed a song.

I was hoping I would get to do that again, but I guess not.”

Leydon explained how she will be missing all the activities and buying treats.

Leydon had hopes that it would happen this year since the past years have been so enjoyable. 

Jingle mingle will be remembered as a fun way to spend an afternoon together at Loretto Academy. 

Students seem to have hope that this tradition will continue the next holiday season.