Recipe filled season

Loretto senior, Sofia Sapien’s, ​​buñuelos are packaged and sold by popular demand. These are a must have during the Christmas season.

Anabella Aguilar, Staff Reporter

If there is one thing that is NOT permitted once December 1st begins, its diets!

Tis’ the season for thousands of recipes that people make to enjoy with their loved ones during this joy-filled season. 

The recipe books and websites contain hundreds of recipes, but one all-time favorite features Sofia Sapien’s ​​buñuelos

They might seem ordinary, but the crunchy fried pastry topped with a mix of cinnamon sugar seasoned to perfection, make buñuelos a Christmas go-to.

After begging to reveal the secret, she finally gave in.

The ingredients for a recipe that makes about 40 small buñuelos.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups whole milk, room temperature
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch salt (1/8 teaspoon).
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • vegetable oil
  • 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Directions:

1. Whisk together the milk, flour, vanilla, salt, eggs and cinnamon in a large bowl.
  2. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes. (Tip: Batter should be thin and runny, resembling pancake batter.)
  3. Place sugar on a large shallow plate and set aside.
  4. Heat about 1-inch depth of oil in a frying pan over medium heat.  
  5. Dip rosette mold or buñuelera in oil, making sure mold is evenly covered by hot oil.  
  6. Quickly, dip hot-oiled mold into batter, covering bottom of mold and sides. 
  7. Dip in hot oil, carefully shaking mold up and down until batter unsticks into hot oil.  
  8. Fry for 10 seconds or until browned lightly.  Turn using a wooden skewer, fry for 10 seconds more.
  9. Transfer buñuelo to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.  
  10. Place in a shallow plate with sugar and cover lightly with sugar on both sides using a spoon. Place on a large tray and repeat until all batter has been used.

Although these buñuelos are a must-have, one might be looking for a simpler and faster scrumptious treat!

In that case, the Secret Kiss Cookie recipe is a tasty alternative.

This recipe includes a delicious cookie covered in powdered sugar that might seem ordinary but has an unexpected twist.

As one approaches the first bite, a Hershey’s kiss melts in one’s mouth, combining with the flavorful cookie, causing a sweet sensation. 

The Secret Kiss Cookie has a secret Hershey’s Kiss inside that makes a mouthwatering combination. A regular batch makes about 36 cookies. Photo courtesy of If You Give a Blonde a Kitchen by Hailey.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2  cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
  • 36 milk chocolate Hershey’s kisses (unwrapped)
  • ½ cup confectioners’ sugar

Directions:

1. Using a hand or stand mixer, combine butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. 
  2. Add flour and walnuts. Stir until well combined. 
  3. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
  4. Preheat the oven to 375°F degrees. 
  5. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  6. Measure about 1 tablespoon of dough and shape it around one chocolate kiss and roll it to make a ball (cover chocolate completely). 
  7. Place dough balls 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
  8. Bake at 375° F for 12 minutes or until cookies are set but not browned (the edges may be golden).
  9. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. 
  10. While the cookies are still warm, roll them in powdered sugar. 

Original recipe from If You Give a Blonde a Kitchen by Hailey, Julianna Gonzalez confirms this recipe is a hit!

Gonzalez, a sophomore at Loretto Academy, said, “The first time I tried these cookies was about three years ago with my older sisters.

Christmas is full of surprises and these secret kiss cookies would be the perfect complement for the seasonal festivities.

After making them and serving them at Christmas, they had to be made again year after year.

It has become a sort of family tradition to make these with my sisters and enjoy them with the family.”

Infinite recipes can be found for countless occasions during the Christmas season that could be made as gifts for friends and family, or to simply enjoy throughout December.

The holidays are all about spending time with family members and enjoying delicious treats that never hurt anyone.